Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What's your routine? (I need an example)

Posted by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 9:01 AM
  • 19 Replies
This is the year we start homeschooling, however, we are right in the middle of a move. (As in movers already packed our things and we are sleeping on airmattresses & eating off paper plates). Once we get settled, school begins.
So I was hoping you ladies might be willing to run me through your daily routine, so that I could get an idea of how to make things run more smoothly once we begin. (my oldest is 5, and although she doesn't "officially" begin school yet, we were going to start anyway.)

Totally spell it our for me, from wake-up to bed time... Do you get your schooling over with atthe beginning of the day or is it spaced out throughout? How long to you dwell on each subject? Is their down-time scheduled or is It just when they begin to lose focus?
So, run me through your day...
(thank you!!!)
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 9:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Sep. 15, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Ours isn't really broken down by time, more just this first, this next, but I'll try to give an average day:

Wake up around 7 or 7:30

Feed the girls breakfast

They get dressed, as do I, and do morning chores

9:00 we start school

We do the pledge of allegiance, an "open shut them" song and sit criss cross applesauce (we're teaching my 2 year old to sit nicely) and read a story appropriate for the 2 yo.  

9:15 we start on our subjects.  We've been doing spelling first (except Fridays, when we have computer and she does it during dd2 nap).

9:30 Handwriting (poetry on Wednesdays)

9:45 Math (every day)

10:30 snack

11:00 history (friday is pers development/character)

11:30 science (m/w), art (tues) music (thurs) nature (fri)

12:00ish lunch

1:00 nap for dd2, dd1 does independent reading, marks it in her reading journal, then does something quiet (sometimes.  haha)

dd2 wakes up around 3:00  We have snack again

then we just have free play, I make dinner, DH comes home around 5:30 or 6 and we eat and do any errands or whatever we want/need to get done.

7:30 bath

8:15 literature/story time

8:30 bed for the girls

Then I do any planning I didn't get done during the day, make sure workboxes are filled, catch up on CM, facebook, talk to DH till he falls asleep on me... ;)  I also do any work I need to do for my business.

I'm usually in bed by midnight.

WAHM behind Coco Bear Cloth and Nikki's Little house as well as retailer for several major brands including BumGenius, Flip, GroVia, Rockin Green, Melissa & Doug, Piggy Paint natural nail polish and more!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Sep. 15, 2011 at 11:12 AM

And like I said, these times are totally approximate and vary day to day.  We also will switch subjects up as needed (like if there is too much writing going on in the subjects we will break them up).  

Some days we have to run errands/dr appts in the mornings so we will have to do school during nap, and a little when she wakes up.  

Most of our subjects take between 15 and 20 minutes.  As she is doing independent work, I try to fill the boxes for the next day in that subject so I don't have so much to do at night.  It makes it much easier since I already have any supplies/teacher manuals right there already.  

sunshine80
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 11:30 AM

This is our day:

John is up at 5:30.  He goes to the garage to workout then comes in and showers. 
I'm up at 7.  I shower and start breakfast. 
The kids are up around 8. 
After breakfast John reads to the kids.  (Bible story)

9:00 John leaves for work. I start household chores.  The kids make their beds and play.

10:00 reading time and free time (They get to read what they want)

11:00 ~ 4:00  We start with prayer, pledge, history, science, poetry, lunch, bible study, music, language arts, break, story time, reading, and math

4:00 free time (kids play and I finish chores and start dinner)

5:15 John is home and goes over the kids day.

5:45 dinner

6:30 kids get baths

7:30 ~ 8:00 tv time

8:00 ~ 8:30 bedtime stories

8:30 bedtime for kids

FlyHippie
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Let's see...ours changes daily, but: Here's a normal "week" for us:

MONDAY

Wake up 8:30, eat, shower, brush teeth, etc.

Then work on math, history, English....whatever DS is in the mood to get done

Leave by noon. He has IPC (integrated physics/chemistry) until 3:00...then jump in car and be at drum lessons by 3:10...they go until 4:30 or so...then run home...finish any schooling, baseball, eat dinner, whatever we have time for. Bed at 10:00.

TUESDAY: Up at same time, same beginning, but we have Spanish class (45 minutes away) and on Tuesday nights, there can be: teen movies, teen classic movies, astronomy club, baseball, or any number of activities there. Bed at 10:00.

Wednesday: No away classes. So up at 8:30 and really work hard getting stuff done....Sometimes we do school all day, sometimes it's a field trip. Depends on what needs to be done.

Thursday we have to leave the house by 7:15am to be at Spanish...then it's home and getting school done...just like Wednesday...working on what needs to be worked on for the week... Once a month he has teen book club (lit class) in the evening...

Friday: We are 40 minutes away by 9:30 for MathCounts, Debate and Word Challenge. he gets home about 1:00 and we finish up whatever needs to be finished for the week...if it's done, then we head off to the museum and see an imax movie or a cool field trip or go kayaking!

I have no set schedule because we have so many outside classes. But I make sure we get done everything that needs to be...it might not all be at once, it might have to happen on a Sunday if we had a busy week, whatever....we roll with it. No big deal. He's a year ahead so I don't stress if he misses a lesson on something. It's all good. Learning happens everywhere....if you take the time to teach. So we're not scheduly people.

Cafe Kate
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 11:55 AM

These are great! Thanks for sharing everyone!

oredeb
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 1:18 PM
1 mom liked this

At age 5 or so we'd wake up clean rooms, eat, get dress ussually all this by 8 (i'd be helping and training them to get it all done!)

start school around 9 ( this young of kids we only did each subject for about 15 min.)(as time went i'd add longer times for each subject)

do a bit of bible for 15 minutes

then start with phonics/ reading  for another 15-30 min(depending on how the child(ren) were doing)

then math for around 15 min,

do some running around jumping yelling!hahah

start our unit study, which includes handwriting, science, history, art, reading, hands on activities, for about 45 min to an hour

we were usually done by 12

eat lunch and do chores and then play!

i timed it all for when they started to loose focus, no use teaching anything if the child(ren) arent getting it or paying attention! All kids are different some can focus longer and some not!

Jlee4249
by Member on Sep. 16, 2011 at 12:59 AM

BUMP!

Jlee4249
by Member on Sep. 16, 2011 at 1:02 AM
I really appreciate these! Thanks, ladies!
wright1212
by on Sep. 17, 2011 at 5:37 PM

It seems like many dont do many hours of actually 'school sit down time'. This is something stressing me out since my state requires 4hours a day. There is no definition so I only hope dance class, singing, girls scouts ect count. (they dont require any more proof than checked days on a calendar)

• I am up by 7, some computer planning/printing.
  • 7:30 start breakfast, wake all up, diapers, clothes ect
  • Eat and clean kitchen. DD does some chores with me.
  • I keep cleaning while DD watches 20m of spanish lessons, and sometimes a science or history video (whatever is related, it varies)
  • 9am downstairs to start school. DS's watch BYCR while DD starts workboxes.
  • DS does his 3 workboxes, group read, break for him
  • DD reading, more boxes science, history, ect.
  • DS more boxes in groups of 3 w/ breaks. We usally get about 9-12 done.
  • DS toddler I keep redirecting him to various activities and books throughout all of this.
  • 12:30 lunch, 1 more reading, educational TV/Movie I love Sid!
  • 1:30-3nap.
  • 3-9 regular cleaning, cooking, dance, dinner ect.

BUT This is my I only wish schedule. MW DS goes to school for therapy from 1:30-3:15, T has OT and soon speech. Plus adding in girl scouts and possible more activities. I think I may start doing outside play from 9:30-10:15. Its beautiful outside this time of year. We were trying 7-8 after dinner, but its getting dark early now.

Mommy to Corbin (8-epilepsy,autism, add) Kayla (6) Collin (1.5), Wife to Ben-OT, and I love teaching- M.Ed Early Childhood. SAHM & Homeschooling. Come watch us at www.youtube.com/user/1212wright

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)