Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What's your routine? (I need an example)

Posted by   + Show Post
This is the year we start homeschooling, however, we are right in the middle of a move. (As in movers already packed our things and we are sleeping on airmattresses & eating off paper plates). Once we get settled, school begins.
So I was hoping you ladies might be willing to run me through your daily routine, so that I could get an idea of how to make things run more smoothly once we begin. (my oldest is 5, and although she doesn't "officially" begin school yet, we were going to start anyway.)

Totally spell it our for me, from wake-up to bed time... Do you get your schooling over with atthe beginning of the day or is it spaced out throughout? How long to you dwell on each subject? Is their down-time scheduled or is It just when they begin to lose focus?
So, run me through your day...
(thank you!!!)
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 9:01 AM
Replies (11-19):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 18, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Let's see. Our day starts around 9am and we do lesson until 11:30. Then it's lunch/recess until 12:15, when we come back and finish up. Arts, crafts, experiments are all done after 2:30 when Theo is napping.

JoyfulMommyof2
by on Sep. 29, 2011 at 10:27 AM

My children are older, 9 and 13, but this is our typical school day:

7:00 - 9:00 I wake up, potty (of course), brush teeth, wash face, brush hair, do skin care & make-up, get dressed, make bed, put on a load of laundry, visit w/hubby before he leaves for work, have my energy drink and breakfast bar, check email

7:30 - 9:00 Children wake up, potty (of course), brush teeth, wash face, brush/comb hair, get dressed, make bed, do chores (son feeds chickens, dogs, and turtles and daughter unloads dishwasher), visit w/daddy before he leaves for work, eat breakfast, and chill a little bit

9:00 Bible (prayer, verse memorization, character study)

9:45 Read aloud (usually Newberry Award or Honor Book)

10:00 Spelling, Writing, Typing

11:00 Arithmetic

12:00 Lunch/Break Time

1:00 History, Science, French (Wed. Art Class)

2:30 Children--Schoolwork Finished, Outside Time (required to spend at least one hour a day outside, weather permitting), Exercise Time (Wii, Bike Riding, Walking, Swimming at least 30 minutes per day), Chores (whatever is needed, nothing major), TV time or video games, etc.

2:30 Mom--Exercise, House Cleaning, Cooking Dinner, Paying Bills, Reviewing School Work, etc.

5:00 - 6:00Swim Class on Tues & Thurs

5:30 Dad gets home

6:30 Dinner/Clean Kitchen

7:30 Bath/Shower Time

8:30 Kids Bed Time, Pray with them, Read to them (yes, they still love to be read to)

9:00 Fox News/Time with Hubby

10:00 Bed Time

Of course, this is relatively flexible according to the day.  There are always the doctor appointments, orthodontist appointments, grocery shopping, volunteer work, 4-H meetings and activities, Club meetings and activities, etc.  I like to read and scrapbook when able.  Life is full!

JoyfulMommyof2

busy mom

OhMissCrissy
by on Sep. 29, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Ty! I found this really helpful. I have 4 yr old twins and I have been trying to do about half an hour of writting/alphabets and half an hour of numbers/math everyday and it was starting to seem like 30 minutes was a but long for them. :)

Photobucket
HavenWoodHome
by on Sep. 29, 2011 at 7:01 PM

Our daily routine looks likes this.  (My son is 12).

Levi and I both wake up at 6 so we can say good-bye to Audie before he leaves for work.

6am to 8:30am – Morning Chores (we both have our own various chores)

8:30amStart Independent Work

9:30am – Bible and Pray

10am – Exercise break (Wii Fit, Stationary Bike, Mini Trampoline)

10:45am – CNN Student News and Fox New Video

11am - More independent work

Noon – Lunch

12:30 to 1:30pm – Computer Time (If assigned independent work is done)

1:30pm – Walk

2pm – Together Work (Science, History, Audiobook, Read Aloud, etc.)

3:30pmFinish all independent Work

4 ish – Dinner Prep and Afternoon Chores

5:30pm - Dinner & Clean Up

6 - Math with Dad

6:30 - Free time or family time

9:30 - My husband and I go to bed

10 - Levi goes to bed

Visit my blog....http://havenwoodhomeschool.blogspot.com/

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 29, 2011 at 8:50 PM

I wish we were a bit more scheduled.

Jlee4249
by Member on Sep. 30, 2011 at 1:10 PM
Thank you! I like all the schedules that are broken down... I can only hope that we can make --and stick to--- our own. I like seeing what works for others, to give me a better idea of where to begin.
usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 7, 2011 at 7:57 PM

We don't have a schedule per say. Because we unschool learning happens on the fly, everything  happens as the kids ask for it. We could be doing art all day one day & cooking/baking the next it is all up to what we or they feel like doing that day. Some days my younger 2 spend the whole day in an elaborate make believe world compiled of things they have learned from books, movies & life.

But no matter how erratic we are I can promise that reading, math, computers & research of innumerable things happen on a daily basses.

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2011 at 9:56 PM

A typical day for me looks like this:

6:00am:  Dh and both dds get up and get ready for work/school.

6:45am:  I get up, throw on some clothes, and drive them all to the train (10 minutes away).

7:15am:  I get back home, have coffee, and check emails and stuff.

8:00am:  Morning cleaning routine (Laundry, make beds, wipe down bathroom, put away dishes) and one larger chore  (dust, mop, scrub tub, clean out fridge, etc)

9:15am:  Another cup of coffee and more computer - Ds usually gets up by now and we have breakfast.

10:15am:  Start the academic seatwork (or leave for a field trip!) . HERE'S WHAT WE DO (I stated we'd start at around 8:30-9am, but 10:15am is much more comfortable for us)

12:30pm:  We usually finish seatwork by this time and have lunch.

1:00pm:  10-15 minute cleanup then free time - Ds and I might go out somewhere

3:00pm:  I start dinner, ds plays outside with neighbor kids

4:30pm:  Dinner is done and I set up all the plates and utensils for when the rest of the troops come home.

5:30pm:  I head out to work (I'm a sales rep for the cable company).

6:00pm:  Dh gets home and feeds everyone (the dds are sometimes out at work or dance class)

10:00pm:  I'm out of work and pick up whichever dd needs picking up.

10:30pm:  I get home and eat dinner (which I shouldn't do - I'm trying to fit my eating in BEFORE work).  All kids are in bed by now.  If the girls were out, they will have eaten something already.

11:00pm:  Evening cleaning routine (clear table, wash dishes, sweep/swiffer kitchen, put next day's meat in fridge to defrost, do a 10-minute pickup)

11:45pm:  Shower, go on computer, watch some DVR'd shows.  Sleep by 1am.

Angela

dd(17) Freshman in college

dd(15) Sophomore at performing arts high school (dance)

ds(10) 5th Grade homeschooler (Ambleside Online & TT7)

Visit my Blog

SUNSHINEGIRL_30
by on Nov. 23, 2011 at 11:05 AM

These are really cool schedules, I thought I was being to hard or not doing anything right, but our schedule looks like some of y'alls!

wow, glad I am not alone.....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)