Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I am homeschooling this year, and this may be my only year :( My husband said the kids must attend the public school district. We have talkjed and talked about it He attended a homeschooling conference with me. Most of my friends homeschool their children, and still he says absolutely NOT. His parents don't think we should homeschool either. Now, I was wondering should I just leave it between my husband and I and not even show his inlaws about homeschooling, or should I give them more information and let them know what homeschooling really is about? There are several books I want to read, and there are many recourses out there as well. The problem is that I don't like confrontation. I'm horrible at it, and my inlaws are very set in their ways and stubborn (as am i, I guess). The only thing I hope for is that they may possible see the benefits in doing so, and be supportive (although it seems like a long shot).

<3 Julia: wife of Drew, mom of Damien and Gavin, baby Harley 2/09-3/09, Mason 9-19-2010  Isaiah 66:10-13

by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 7:41 PM
Replies (11-15):
Precious333
by Julia on Sep. 16, 2011 at 12:58 PM

and btw... I will de3finitely not betalking to my inlaws about it. Like everyone said, its none of their business.

FlyHippie
by on Sep. 16, 2011 at 2:48 PM

It's not the IL's decision, but if in the course of homeschooling this year, you do enough that when you/DH or the child are talking to them, things come up that also help convert them... "Wow! Gramma! I got to do an ice cream science class at the museum! It was awesome! Did you know there's all different kinds of salt and we compared them to see which kind froze the ice cream the fastest...and...and..."

Then you slowly start converting them, too. Don't do it by debate...do it by showing!

Precious333
by Julia on Sep. 16, 2011 at 11:23 PM

Quoting FlyHippie:

It's not the IL's decision, but if in the course of homeschooling this year, you do enough that when you/DH or the child are talking to them, things come up that also help convert them... "Wow! Gramma! I got to do an ice cream science class at the museum! It was awesome! Did you know there's all different kinds of salt and we compared them to see which kind froze the ice cream the fastest...and...and..."

Then you slowly start converting them, too. Don't do it by debate...do it by showing!

Thats the frustrating part :( We're doing all these amazing things, and my kids are still young, and myhusband doesn't seem to recognize it! WE have already been on about 4 field trips since summer, doing so many cool science and art lessons. He thinks if I really liked doing these things we could do public school and homeschooling.... I think after a full day of "busy work" my kids are going tp drained out and get all the love of learning sucked from them dry!

<3 Julia: wife of Drew, mom of Damien and Gavin, baby Harley 2/09-3/09, Mason 9-19-2010  Isaiah 66:10-13

peanut06
by on Sep. 16, 2011 at 11:47 PM

Lots of questions.  Does he know your reasons for wanting to homeschool, I mean really understand them?  If this year works out, why change to the public schools?  What's so great that they have, that he wants for y'all's kids?  If it's ok to homeschool this year, why is he already ready to call it quits for next year?  It's almost like he's hoping you'll fail somehow and the super-powerful school will be able to "fix" it next year.

As to talking to in-laws, tell them it's your and your husband's decision, and you'd like them to support your family decision, whichever way it is.  Pray on it and listen for the answer.  Then, discuss this with your husband, too.  It's hard to debate what's found in prayer.

homeschool 

Happy momma and natural birth, homeschooling, and ERF advocate!
luvthesoap
by on Sep. 17, 2011 at 10:53 AM

When we started homeschooling my family thought Im was going to mess the kids ups. ( acdemically & socially) NOw, they think it's the best thing for him. IN fact, last week I got the results of my son's IQ testing. ( HE has LD's) The dr. says he's doing better than mist kids she sees with his problems. SHe said he is doing so weel beacuse he's homeschooling. MOst PS kids don't havde the advantage of a custom made education like HSers have.

Betty in Kty

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)