Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Reading lessons are driving me insane!!!!!

Posted by on Sep. 16, 2011 at 11:33 AM
  • 3 Replies

My DD is 3 1/2 and has been asking me to teach her to read for about 6 months. So about a week ago we started working through the Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons book. For the most part she understands everything and can do all of the activities. However, it seems like she is just not understanding the rhyming part. If you ask her, she can rattle off a whole list of words that rhyme, but it seems like the way that are presenting this in the book is just not sinking in. I get frustrated because I know that she can do it, but it's just not coming together. She tries very hard, but I hate to see her struggle. Has anyone been through the book successfully with a child who really struggled at the begenning?

by on Sep. 16, 2011 at 11:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 16, 2011 at 11:37 AM

The book was too slow for Cole so I gave it up.

usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 16, 2011 at 11:41 AM

It was to repetitive for my daughter so we quit it too! I would start looking for something different to try!

Maridel
by on Sep. 16, 2011 at 12:56 PM

We did this method. I would say just skip the rhyming parts and replace them with something that works for her. What they are trying to teach with rhyming is mostly word families. Find other books that she can go through. We breezed through the beginning, but stopped at about lesson 80ish. The reading level was starting to reach close to 2nd grade level and my dd was getting frustrated. Make the book work for you, don't work for the book and let yourselves get frutrated. She's still young

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN