Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

NO idea where to start for a pre-k and kindergarten homeschooling

Posted by on Sep. 16, 2011 at 6:19 PM
  • 2 Replies

We never consider ourselves as parents who would homeschool. Nothing against it we just never thought it would be for our family. Well my husband is in the Army and we move often. It just so happens that the year that we are putting our 5 and almost 4 year old in school would be the year we moved to a less than up to standards school district. Also the private school we have looked at are not military friendly. So out next decision led us to homeschooling until we are moved to a better school district. That being said I dont know where to start. My girls are very structured (if you couldnt imagine being Army children) and i just dont want to go buying some workbook or along those lines that are not needed or not up to standards. Any advice, guidence, or just workbooks would be greatly appreciated. I am just at a loss for where to even start looking. Also we live in Pennsylvania but are residents of Iowa not sure if that makes any difference.

by on Sep. 16, 2011 at 6:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
peanut06
by on Sep. 16, 2011 at 6:53 PM

With pre-k and k, I'd say start with play.  Find ways to make learning physical--walk, run, skip, jump laps around numbers, letters, shapes, colors.  Learning address, city, state info.  Teach them Uno (even if it's modified) and Go Fish (with your choice of cards/flashcards, alphabet or sight words or whatever).  And, for many topics, you can read to both kiddos.  For teaching reading, I've heard wonderful things about Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Lessons.

oredeb
by on Sep. 16, 2011 at 8:10 PM

look up your homeschooling law

http://www.hslda.org/hs/state/   find out what you have to do to appease the homeschool laws, and some states say you dont have to start schooling till older than 5.

heres a group for military homeschooling that might have some help

http://www.militaryhomeschoolers.com/

if you think your child is ready to learn phonic/read then start with teaching the sounds, a real good book for that is 'a home start in reading' by ruth beechick,

and teaching math just use a manipulatives like rocks, bugs, socks, marbles, m and ms, pennies, etc

you can put up numbers and letter and colors on the wall, that will help,

just doing a little bit each day for an hour to 2 hours or so, that young they dont need all day! do some art stuff, be sure to read to them always, fun books, poetry, teach them some songs, dance with them, jump, play any kind of hands on stuff they will like. to help with handwriting, use sand, writing letters in the sand with finger is nice, use big paper and let them finger paint letters or circles etc.  some science would be going outside and chasing butterflies, looking for bugs, digging in the dirt, check out kids science books out of the library about lady bugs, etc and draw pictures of them, read to them about them, help them make up poems about them, find them outside, etc.

also at stores like kmart, walmart, bookstores they have workbooks for kids, they have grade levels on them,but please be sure to do hands on stuff with your children, make learning fun and not just in a book all the time!! have fun!! yea teach them games like peanut suggests etc!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN