Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How many video game consoles do you own?

Posted by on Sep. 17, 2011 at 10:17 PM
  • 18 Replies

How much are your children allowed to play?

Ok, I'm going to admit it, we have A TON of video games, way more than normal people probably. We have the PS2, PS3 and Wii hooked up right now. We  have 2 PSPs and 2 DSs. We have old school Super NES and Dreamcast and even a Sega Game gear. We have all the doodads that go with them, a PS Move and 3 Guitar Hero controllers, etc. My husband hacked the PS2 and added an emulator so now we can play NES games on a Playstation2. Oh and let's not talk about all the computer games. LOL

BUT the kids maybe get 2 hours of game time a week. Sometimes 4 if I'm not paying attention. It's mostly played when I'm busy doing something else so we don't have any sort of system. 

How do you regulate it?

by on Sep. 17, 2011 at 10:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hailnbray
by on Sep. 17, 2011 at 10:22 PM

we have the ps3, wii, vsmile, leapster and each kid have a hand held vsmile and dsi. my daughter would rather play computer games however we dont really limit anything they do. if they want to play they play, they really only use the dsi's and thats mainly at night or when we are not home.

SCmomof3girls
by on Sep. 17, 2011 at 10:47 PM
We only have a Wii and probably about 8 or so games for it. I don't limit it alot except for with my oldest. She would probably play it constantly if I let her. Middle and youngest DD's will play for a half hour or so and then go read or play outside. There is no gametime allowed before school is finished for the day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 18, 2011 at 8:53 AM

Cole would play ours for days on end if I let him. His dad's family has some problems with video game addiction so I try to keep an eye on it.

Strega
by on Sep. 18, 2011 at 8:57 AM
We have an XBox 360, and the Kinect for it. We really only get Kid-Friendly games, and both of our Kids are limited and monitored.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Sep. 18, 2011 at 9:09 AM
Ps2, Ps3, Wii, Xbox 360, PsP, and a Ds. My daughter is allowed to play after school is done until dinner and then after our evening walk until bed time which is when she reads. She doesn't play the games that often, usually weekends.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luvthesoap
by on Sep. 18, 2011 at 9:12 AM

We have 2 X Box 360's/ ONe upstairs & one downstairs. I Let my son play a few hours a day. I'm pretty relaxed about it. AS long as he gets his schoolwork done, he can do what he wnts in his down time.

Betty in Ky

DrJChappell
by on Sep. 18, 2011 at 9:32 AM

We have 2 DSs, a Wii, a PS2 and a PSP that DS13 bought with his own money. And a computer, but we're weaning DS12 off the online games.

Amyz2boys
by on Sep. 18, 2011 at 10:00 AM

It's such a different world today.....i remember only playing outside or saturday morning cartoons.   My oldest likes the xbox 360 and kinect and wii.....He is autistic (high functioning), and when he plays , he is jumpin all over the place getting into the games, LOL.....I have never seen him just sit on a couch and play.   Our 7 year old who has aspergers and bipolar likes the computer to play Roblox...kid friendly and safe site and I admit we let him on there longer than we should, but he knows the rules during the week ( he attends public school still, I homeschool our oldest)...no computer or video games till home work is done.  He will still go outside, but has the obsession with the computer......and I have to say that he is brilliant in designing some of the places on the game (it lets you build things and play with other kids online and you can control the privacy of chatting)...

usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 18, 2011 at 2:00 PM

I might have you beat in the video game department we have 2 PS3 ( one in the living room & one in my bedroom) 1 Wii , 2 PS2 ( one in my teens room & one in mine) 3 DS , 2 PSP , 2 Game Cubes ( one in teens room  the other is in storage in case the one brakes) 1 PS1 , 1 Sega Genesis , 1 Sega CD. We have 3 Rock band guitars, 2 drum sets for Rock Band, 1 Guitar Hero Guitar, Wii Balance Board , The U Draw Pad for the Wii, The Eye toy camera for the PS3 & the PS2. Not to mention all the other controllers & we have 1 desk top PC a laptop & a tablet that is like an I Pad but uses Android technology.

As far as play time, they have to wait until after lunch time to play for fun but we have tons & tons of educational games that they are allowedto play all day long. There is no real time restriction on their playing as long as chores have gotten done. But what is funny is with all of that to use they would rather read or play with their toys & imaginations more most of the time.

In case you are wondering about all the ones in my room my hubby & I are gamers too & like to play M rated games that we wont let the kids play so we play them in our room at night or early in the morning so the kids don't see or here them.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 18, 2011 at 5:34 PM

lol We're gamers, too. 8) I'm glad we arent the only ones.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)