Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How many video game consoles do you own?

Posted by   + Show Post

How much are your children allowed to play?

Ok, I'm going to admit it, we have A TON of video games, way more than normal people probably. We have the PS2, PS3 and Wii hooked up right now. We  have 2 PSPs and 2 DSs. We have old school Super NES and Dreamcast and even a Sega Game gear. We have all the doodads that go with them, a PS Move and 3 Guitar Hero controllers, etc. My husband hacked the PS2 and added an emulator so now we can play NES games on a Playstation2. Oh and let's not talk about all the computer games. LOL

BUT the kids maybe get 2 hours of game time a week. Sometimes 4 if I'm not paying attention. It's mostly played when I'm busy doing something else so we don't have any sort of system. 

How do you regulate it?

by on Sep. 17, 2011 at 10:17 PM
Replies (11-18):
Maridel
by on Sep. 18, 2011 at 7:04 PM

Wow ya'll have a lot. lol. We just have the Wii. and only my husband has a couple of games for it, we mostly use it for netflix these days. The girls have a Leapfrog Click2Start game (like a computer keyboard) but they never play it, even when I offer so I have it on craigslist but no luck selling it. We had the Smartcycle game but they never really played that either so I sold it on CL. My husband would love a PS3, so maybe one day. For X-Mas the girls will get the new LeapPad.

oredeb
by on Sep. 19, 2011 at 10:37 AM

we didnt have any for my kids

FlyHippie
by on Sep. 19, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Right now set up and ready to go? We have an Xbox 360 with kinnect, wii, playstation 3...those are set up now. DS has a psp also...

and I cannot even think of the last time he played a video game. It's not his thing. he'd rather be outside playing ANY DAY than inside sitting on a video game.

CREAMBROWN
by on Sep. 19, 2011 at 10:57 AM

None.We believe that there is a WORLD of play and family bonding that awaits us each day, no time to tv/game sit.

fygfitness_mom
by on Sep. 19, 2011 at 4:58 PM

We have a Wii, PS3 and both the girls have their own DSs. My oldest saved up and bought herself a DS3D. We all have our own desktop/laptops as well.

We do have the original Nintendo as well as two variations of the V.Smile but they don't get played anymore.

Knightquester
by on Sep. 20, 2011 at 12:48 PM

We own about every console out there except the xbox, this includes every one created down tot he atari, lol.  We also have a lot of computers as well.

My husband and I are computer and gaming people.  We game casually and have no problem with the children doing so as long as their responsibilities are done.  So on average the children are usually getting only an hour maybe two if they're on top of things per day of gaming through the week.  When you consider they don’t watch television at all (we don’t have cable or regular tv) it’s about the same amount of screen time the average child gets per day.

My husband and I if we do game do so when the children are in bed after our own responsibilities are done.  So our main goal is to teach the children to prioritize placing their schooling, chores and extra curricular activities above their hobbies and interest.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2011 at 8:31 AM

We have a color nook.  That my boys use in the car while driving but that is it.  We plan on eventually getting a wii but that will be it.  I don't set limits for TV and computer.  I simply make sure they have a variety of interests.  Most days we are so busy having fun that we don't even use the TV or computer.  I tell my boys all the time it is not how much TV you watch but how much variety you have in your life. 

Mom71307
by on Sep. 21, 2011 at 8:34 AM

Xbox360, gamecube, ORIGINAL WORKING nintendo AND Sega (and games for both) and the computer... however, our kids do not play video games on them... they watch some of the ones daddy plays and they "play" a wipeout type game but not well... we would like to get kinect at some point for kinectimals and things like that since they LOVE pretending to be animals (they are 2 and 4).  At the moment, they play more online learning based games but still only like 30 min a week!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN