Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about animal lost *long* & when to replace

Posted by on Sep. 18, 2011 at 8:55 AM
  • 8 Replies

Back in June, we found a stray kitten (maybe 4 months old).  My son had been begging for months for a cat, so we decided to keep the kitten.  Cali-Boo (the cat) seemed to take to the family, but always ALWAYS tried to get out of the house.  We would take her outback with us, and she never tried jump the fence or anything.  She got out the front door a few times, and we either caught her, or so wouldn't leave the front yard and would come running back once we went back inside.

Any how, Friday we were out front playing in the afternoon.  DS wanted to ride his tricycle on the driveway.  It was getting late and hubby brought the balls we were playing with inside, and Cali-Boo shot out.  We chased her a bit, then decided to let her run (the closer we got the further she went).  Much to our surpaise, she crossed the road.  DS and I went after her, and with the help of our nieghbors, caught her. 

It shocked me that our normally loving cat, showed her claws and hissed when the little girl over there asked to pet her.  Anyhow, we stayed over there for a while, me holding the cat, and getting clawed.  Well, DS fell off a little push scooter so I went to check on him.  When I bent down to check on him, Cali-Boo scratched me across the face and jumped out of my arms.  I just said, "Let her go."  DS was fine.

About 5 minutes later, a truck came by and well, Cali-Boo attached it's wheel!  Broke her neck *sniffle*.  Lucky DS was behind our nieghbors truck and didn't see anything.  The little girl (she's about 9) took DS in the back yard to play a few minutes and out nieghbor (such a sweet man) got the body and took it away so DS wouldn't see it.

Of course, when DS started asking about her, we said she ran away.  It's been hard on me and on him.  I told him that maybe she just wanted to be an outside cat doing big things (he likes the book The Fire Cat).  So this morning he was really sad, so I told him that we would give Cali-Boo a few weeks to see if she came back (I know it's bad to lie, but my son is only 3.5 years old, and we feel this is the best thing to do at this age....don't judge that), but that when he was ready, we would let him get a new kitten.

How long should we wait before letting him pick out a new kitten?  Thanks for listening and for any advice. 

Loving wife ...Proud Homeschooling Mama ...TTC#2 ...BLOGGING it all on the way...Follow me at Throwing Marshmallows

by on Sep. 18, 2011 at 8:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 18, 2011 at 10:06 AM

I'm sorry! That's too bad about your kitty. I would wait a week or two. At 3, a new kitten will distract him pretty quickly.

I would also completely wash any bedding Cali-boo slept on, his litter box and change out any toys he played with, just in case.

Cafe Kate
by on Sep. 18, 2011 at 10:27 AM

Oh, so sorry! :( 

cedailey
by on Sep. 18, 2011 at 10:42 AM

When our dog died last summer, I made the children wait six months before we went to the shelter for a new one.  Partly to grieve, and partly to have a pet free house for a bit. (both for me and for them-I love having animals but they do tie you down a bit, and the hair everywhere)  Mine are a bit older they were 6,5 and 2, and they decided that having a new animal was worth the restrictions.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Sep. 18, 2011 at 11:01 AM

sooo sorry!!! my favorite cat had gotten hit by a car and my parents lied to me for almost a year before the truth leaked out...I however was 13. I would've probably accounted the cat being hit under normal circumstances, but this particular cat had went looking for us was gone 3 months and came back Christmas Eve - so I had hope. Trust me - I'd tell my kids the same thing you are right now too.  I would probably wait at least another week. And definitely replace and/or wash all the things the first kitty liked too.

usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 18, 2011 at 12:43 PM

I don't see anything wrong with what you told him for his age! I would get a new one as soon as he shows interest in one. A new cat will help him at his age get past this by being a distraction from it. I would clean everything that would have her smell so the new cat doesn't smell her & think there is another cat there.

I know this doesn't matter but if Cali-Boo was between 6mo & 1yr. old she might have been starting her heat cycle & that would explain her behavior.

mom2queenie2004
by on Sep. 18, 2011 at 1:11 PM

I wouldn't get one right away. He will let you know it is time. He will remind you, or one day coming out of Walmart someone will be there giving kittens away.

Sorry about your kitty. We just said good-bye to our dog this weekend. :(

SouthernMama08
by on Sep. 18, 2011 at 9:27 PM

Thanks everybody for the advice and support.  I think we will want at least another 2 or 3 weeks.  I knew you ladies would make me feel better.

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2011 at 12:30 AM
I lost my kitty two weeks ago. I think you told him what he needed to know, kitty ran away, which she did in a way. I agree with at least 2 weeks and see how he feels about adopting one. Most places will let you try a pet to make sure its compatible with the family. We have two other cats, but I don't know when I will get another cat of my own.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)