Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Secular 7th Grade Curriculum Recommendations (PIOG)

Posted by on Sep. 18, 2011 at 4:42 PM
  • 9 Replies

Hi,

Does anyone know of a good comprehensive secular 7th Grade curriculum? I am thinking of homeschooling my 7th son and I don't think I would like to create everything from scratch. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Martha

“Creativity is allowing oneself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.” ~~ Scott Adams
by on Sep. 18, 2011 at 4:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 18, 2011 at 7:46 PM

Sorry, kmy oldest is in fifth grade, Good luck!

swim-mom72
by on Sep. 18, 2011 at 10:12 PM

I know many secular homeschoolers that use Sonlight. They have to "tweak" it a bit to fit their outlook, but are able to do that and are very happy.

Others: Oak Meadow, K12, Robinson, Time4Learning, The Keystone School, Connect the Thoughts, Connections Academy, and Calvert.

muhajjirah
by on Sep. 19, 2011 at 9:42 AM

Im using Calvert grade 7 now. Its lots of work, very structured but can be adapted. Its very comprehensive and everything is in the box including manuals. They have an virtual option- but no live internet face/face support thats a bit more expensive. 

you should check it out.

luvthesoap
by on Sep. 19, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Calvert.

Betty in Ky

marthamom
by on Sep. 19, 2011 at 3:00 PM

Thanks everyone for your responses. This will give me some place to start.

Martha

“Creativity is allowing oneself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.” ~~ Scott Adams
marthamom
by on Sep. 19, 2011 at 3:02 PM

Quoting muhajjirah:

Im using Calvert grade 7 now. Its lots of work, very structured but can be adapted. Its very comprehensive and everything is in the box including manuals. They have an virtual option- but no live internet face/face support thats a bit more expensive. 

you should check it out.

By lots of work, what do you mean? Lots of school work for the student or lots of work for the parent?

muhajjirah
by on Sep. 19, 2011 at 3:44 PM

Quoting marthamom:

Quoting muhajjirah:

you should check it out.

By lots of work, what do you mean? Lots of school work for the student or lots of work for the parent?

lots of school work for the student. 7th grade has lots of everything. i find that if my daughter works at a steady pace which she is good at we can be done with calvert in 6hours & thats with leaving a few things out..whether its computer lessons or enrichments or qs they are requesting to written rather than oral.

ive really just started this week so its not so much of a good assessment, maybe by next week my position will change a bit. but yes, with calvert grade 7, there will always be something to do! im going to tweek it that some busy work is eliminated, although others may feel that busy work is important.

we are also using the ATS service which is one of the main reasons we are using calvert. at the end of the year theyll send us a complete transcript, based on her grades that she gets. she gets tested at every 20 lessons and its graded by the teachers there via online...during any given lesson if im confused or if she has a question we can just call the educational counselors and they will assist with whatever is needed.

she has a load of online resources like videos from discovery science, math tutorials and spelling online. LOTS of enrichment in her portal when she signs into mycalvert.org. at the end of each subject she gets online to complete learning checkpoints by answering a few questions on the lesson in whatever subject she just finished. it is then graded...but from what i understand doesnt go towards her final grade- the exams at the end of every 20 lessons do.

plz feel free to ask me more, or better call them and they can set up a live video conference with you too..samples of the grade 7 books are also online for you to browse through. they also have a scholastic version for kids who need extra support in grammar/writing..and they have something called verticy which is more for kids with dyslexia, the standard version is called academic.

ok, thats it for now! all the best :)

mamaof2n1angel
by on Sep. 20, 2011 at 10:27 AM

try www.homeschoolstockroom.com that is  where i am getting my  3rd grade  cirriculum from.

romacox
by Silver Member on Sep. 22, 2011 at 12:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)