Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Technology and Kids

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2011 at 2:13 PM
  • 14 Replies

I just read an interesting article about the first tablet built for kids 4 and under. It looks a bit like an ipad, but is easier to hold, more resistant to drops, and doesn't have a wi-fi connection.

It's just crazy! It did get me thinking tho. I do see lots of toddlers easily working smart phones. 

Here's the article.

What do you think about little kids using something like this?

Do you work computers and technology into your lesson plans? Or is most stuff done with pens, paper, and books? 

Vinci tablet computer

by on Sep. 19, 2011 at 2:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
auroramoon69
by on Sep. 19, 2011 at 2:22 PM

My kids are so advanced when it comes to technology, but that's mostly because thier dad is a computer genius!  I still prefer them to do a lot of paper work too along with computer work.

Cafe Kate
by on Sep. 19, 2011 at 2:26 PM

Yeah, I'm shocked at how computer savvy kids are these days!!

Quoting auroramoon69:

My kids are so advanced when it comes to technology, but that's mostly because thier dad is a computer genius!  I still prefer them to do a lot of paper work too along with computer work.

oredeb
by on Sep. 19, 2011 at 2:35 PM

its funny how kids take to technology! so quickly

ive always taught my kids evenly with comp stuff and pen and pencil. well they teach me the comp stuff!!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Sep. 19, 2011 at 3:06 PM
I saw leapfrog came out with a tablet as well. My 2yo can work my iPod touch and iPad easily, and it shocks me. However, there are some AMAZING apps for free or just a couple dollars. I still can't believe some of the things she is able to do that I got for her six year old sister! Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Sep. 19, 2011 at 3:08 PM
Oh and to answer your question (lol) all of our work is paper and pencil this year except, obviously computer. I do let her use the iPad as extra though but she doesn't know it's for learning, just fun. Hsha
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cafe Kate
by on Sep. 19, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Yeah -- I think that's kind of a cool part. Many educational games are 'fun' if the kids don't realize they're learning!

Quoting Boobah:

Oh and to answer your question (lol) all of our work is paper and pencil this year except, obviously computer. I do let her use the iPad as extra though but she doesn't know it's for learning, just fun. Hsha

usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 19, 2011 at 4:04 PM

I  unschool so we don't use textbooks or workbooks unless they ask for them. I use everything that I can to help them learn all that they want to know. I even got a Toshiba Tablet with Android technology for my birthday to use with them, so I would have that as a learning tool too! So to answer your question we use more tech stuff but everything is available to them for use as they chose it.

fygfitness_mom
by on Sep. 19, 2011 at 4:55 PM

We are a big tech savvy family.

Both of our girls have their own laptops, mp3 players and cell phones. We do utilize the computers for school as we are a virtual school family. Though our lessons even out between the computer and books.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Sep. 20, 2011 at 11:07 AM
My kids each have math and spanish on the computer. I would love an iPad to use with them. Heck, I still want a laptop for me. Neither is happening too soon with $ the way it is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gumberly
by on Sep. 20, 2011 at 11:16 AM
We have laptops and gaming consoles. I have no issues with technology what so ever, in fact I am a huge fan (my over abudance of games as proof). That said, I do not use the computer for lessons beyond a reference source. My kids are only 6 and 3 so as they get older that will change a little, but for the most I have no desire to transisition away from pencil and paper learning.
My younger 2 have leapsters and my older son has a DS he plays but he has to earn time on it, no school no DS. I know th value you of educational games I just personally don't think they are a replacement.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)