Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I just read an interesting article about the first tablet built for kids 4 and under. It looks a bit like an ipad, but is easier to hold, more resistant to drops, and doesn't have a wi-fi connection.

It's just crazy! It did get me thinking tho. I do see lots of toddlers easily working smart phones. 

Here's the article.

What do you think about little kids using something like this?

Do you work computers and technology into your lesson plans? Or is most stuff done with pens, paper, and books? 

Vinci tablet computer

by on Sep. 19, 2011 at 2:13 PM
Replies (11-14):
Mom71307
by on Sep. 20, 2011 at 2:24 PM

This is an ongoing thing between my husband and me. He is a computer technician so the technology thing is crucial to him. I assure him that our kids WILL know how to safely search the web for things, be able to approriately use a computer, etc ... even take apart and put together. I hope they will learn web design and programming at some point too. However, I feel that TOO much is done through technology now and kids are not expected to think for themselved, create, run and play, etc.  We HAVE a leapfrog handheld thing for them but it is a car thing (rarely in the house) and only on 45 min+ trips... we don't do TV a lot (they love Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy!) and I do MOST of our schooling away from the computer. There are some games I play WITH them online but it is not for them alone (they are 4 and 2) and won't be for a while. I am thrilled they don't know how to work the TV, DVD player, etc.  Rarely, they are allowed to play daddy's ipod, and play on the computer but it is with direct parental involvement (which I think is another lacking thing when it comes to all this "teaching technology"). Ok, I'm, done!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 20, 2011 at 5:16 PM

We use the computer for a lot of things plus typing and youtubing educational stuff so I think technology is a great teaching aid. I don't know, though, that I would buy my four year old an iPad kind of thing.

Danielle163
by on Sep. 20, 2011 at 7:51 PM

We use the computer for Teaching Textbooks, SOS Elementary Spanish and typing class. We are going to be starting Logo Adventures for computer programming as soon as I can figure out where to slip it into her schedule. DD has her own laptop and cell phone (she's 8 1/2). I see it only increasing dramatically from here at our house. I'm hoping  the exposure to all things computer will help her get a job when she gets older.

hailnbray
by on Sep. 20, 2011 at 7:54 PM
My 4 ur old has been working computer games since he was 2. It comes natural to him. Could b all the late night breast feeding b cafemom sessions
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)