Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Netflix? how do you like the changes?

Posted by   + Show Post

are you going to keep netflix or stop it?

how do you like the changes

by on Sep. 20, 2011 at 4:56 PM
Replies (21-30):
Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Sep. 21, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Not really, we've streamed to both our PS3's on our TV's and a computer before w/o any problems, streaming is unlimited no matter how many devices you stream through, however it does all depend upon your bandwidth and your ISP on whether or not you can suck up that much internet at one time.

Quoting JulieBrown:

We usually watch documentaries on a TV while my daughter watches a TV show on the computer.   

With streaming only, it can only stream from one device at a time.  If you want to watch it on a couple of computers OR a TV and computer at once, you need to upgrade.  :-(

This is what caused a problem for us.  :-

schockmom
by on Sep. 21, 2011 at 1:26 PM
Check out blockbuster; much better

Quoting JulieBrown:

I HATE the changes. 

At first they made it seem like prices went down, but we had to pay 18 dollars a month for the same thing we were getting for less than 10 before.  Before we could stream netflix videos on our Roku and computer at the same time.  Now we need 2 separate monthly streaming plans or we needed to get the 2 out a time plan just to get streaming on 2 different devices.  

I plan on canceling eventually, but in the mean time I am checking out all the videos I can before I cancel.  I am also looking for a good competitor.  We have amazon prime and hulu, but those aren't good enough to just ditch netflix. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SCmomof3girls
by on Sep. 21, 2011 at 2:26 PM

I was looking at the plans yesterday when I was looking for info on the changes. It said if you get 1 DVD at a time or just streaming, you can only do 1 device at a time. 2 DVDs= 2 devices, 3 DVDs=3 devices and 4 or more DVDs=4 devices at a time. The max allowed is 4.

Quoting Knightquester:

Not really, we've streamed to both our PS3's on our TV's and a computer before w/o any problems, streaming is unlimited no matter how many devices you stream through, however it does all depend upon your bandwidth and your ISP on whether or not you can suck up that much internet at one time.

Quoting JulieBrown:

We usually watch documentaries on a TV while my daughter watches a TV show on the computer.   

With streaming only, it can only stream from one device at a time.  If you want to watch it on a couple of computers OR a TV and computer at once, you need to upgrade.  :-(

jen2150
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2011 at 5:00 PM

netflix and blockbuster dvd only are the same price.  Netflix is actually cheaper if you don't need blue ray.  Netflix actually give you chose whether you pay for blue ray or not.  The price hike has to do with streaming because of how much it costs them.  I don't see dvd's becoming obsolete for a while.  Too many people don't have good enough internet to support it.  Our bandwith is not good enough for it. 

JulieBrown
by on Sep. 21, 2011 at 11:41 PM

In the past, before Sept 1 it was unlimited streaming.  Go try it now.  :-\  I called to complain and the guy said they had gotten calls all day about it. They switched it from unlimited to only 1 device at a time.  The CS person at Netflix said that it was a new change and suggested if I wanted it on a computer and another device at a time, that I should get 2 streaming plans.  :-\   Now you will be lucky if you can on a computer and PS3. 

We have LOTS of bandwidth and we don't use half of the limit from the ISP, so that wasn't the problem. 

Quoting Knightquester:

Quoting JulieBrown:

JulieBrown
by on Sep. 21, 2011 at 11:47 PM

Exactly!  We up-ed our plan to 2 dvds at a time, from our previous streaming only plan.  While I have the plan I am renting like crazy and turning the DVDs in the next day......getting my moneys worth.  Netflix has an amazing selection of DVD documentaries.  :-) 

In a couple months i will go back to streaming only. 

Quoting SCmomof3girls:

I was looking at the plans yesterday when I was looking for info on the changes. It said if you get 1 DVD at a time or just streaming, you can only do 1 device at a time. 2 DVDs= 2 devices, 3 DVDs=3 devices and 4 or more DVDs=4 devices at a time. The max allowed is 4.

Quoting Knightquester:

Quoting JulieBrown:

peanut06
by on Sep. 22, 2011 at 1:59 AM

A few months ago, when they upped the price of basic/created the streaming only option, we went to streaming only.  So, change hasn't affected us :)  We ditched cable altogether (yay for rabbit ears LOL) and watch Netflix almost all the time (and Crackle occasionally), except when we see the rare movie at Redbox we want to watch new new new.  Yep, streaming only works well for us, and the $$ we saved ditching cable, we applied to upgrading our internet service to be lightning fast.  And, we're still ahead on the budget :)

cedailey
by on Sep. 22, 2011 at 3:22 PM

The only thing I am not liking is the seperate websites.  I liked how, if something in my dvd queue became available on streaming it put the play button right there in the queue.  Now with the queues completely separate I will have to randomly check to see if new things are available instantly.

We have 1 dvd plus streaming, which works well for us.  My kids are happy with the variety of streaming, and the can't scratch the movies :)  and most of what I want is dvd only.  We don't have cable, blockbuster isn't any better on price, and the nearest Redbox is two towns over.

JulieBrown
by on Oct. 1, 2011 at 2:12 PM

Almost all of our renting is on demand and you pretty much have to pay to see movies.  Where are you watching the movies on blockbuster? 

Quoting schockmom:

Check out blockbuster; much better
schockmom
by on May. 27, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Through the mail like Netfix, though you can also exchange them at a physical store.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)