Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Johnny Appleseed Day is the 27th of September

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2011 at 5:04 PM
  • 9 Replies

Are you plannimg any lessons on him or apples?

by on Sep. 20, 2011 at 5:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Mom71307
by on Sep. 20, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Hmmm, maybe. Its the day after my son turns 2 and its the day our Bible class starts so we will be busy but I just might do that as our only school that day!

oredeb
by on Sep. 20, 2011 at 5:38 PM

planting appleseeds! in dixie cups and watching them grow!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Sep. 20, 2011 at 8:13 PM
Hmmm, we have been studying apples and apple trees. Julia is loving the books about him, so we may have to celebrate by planting some trees also! Can you take them directly from the apple immediately or do they have to age a bit?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
misselphaba
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2011 at 9:46 PM

Perhaps we will make applesauce muffins for breakfast and baked apples for dessert. 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 21, 2011 at 9:28 AM

Someone in another group made a post about apple prints, so maybe we'll do those.

SuperFlyKy
by on Sep. 21, 2011 at 4:16 PM

I have a ton of applesauce right now so I am going to find something fun to do with it. Might make some bread with it.

Have some shopping to do? We have tons of great products at great prices. http://stores.shop.ebay.com/A-Christmas-Fairy  

A CHRISTMAS FAIRY  

LostTheSlipper
by Member on Sep. 22, 2011 at 8:21 PM

I thought it was the 26th.

oredeb
by on Sep. 23, 2011 at 10:53 AM

sorry i didnt see your post boobah!!!

well anyway we've done this almost every year, some die some grow, but heres what i do

Put a bunch of apple seeds in a damp paper towel on a paper plate in the frig until the seeds split open. You'll see some sprouts in about 2 weeks.

when that happens let them get a bit longer than the seed its self, take out of frig and plant in small pot, not to deep, so i'd say about 1/4 inch deep in some potting soil.

be sure to water and keep moist when you feel the dry pottin soil. about every 2 days.

also keep the seeds in a warm place that gets some indirect sunlight, until you see the little seedling coming up! then put them in direct sunlight on your windowsill, but make sure they dont get to hot and shrivel up!

then when spring comes around transplant into your garden! they do grow! since this is our new home now we will be doin this here.

im sorry this is probably more than you wanted to know!

Quoting Boobah:

Hmmm, we have been studying apples and apple trees. Julia is loving the books about him, so we may have to celebrate by planting some trees also! Can you take them directly from the apple immediately or do they have to age a bit?

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2011 at 11:16 AM

That's great!

Quoting oredeb:

sorry i didnt see your post boobah!!!

well anyway we've done this almost every year, some die some grow, but heres what i do

Put a bunch of apple seeds in a damp paper towel on a paper plate in the frig until the seeds split open. You'll see some sprouts in about 2 weeks.

when that happens let them get a bit longer than the seed its self, take out of frig and plant in small pot, not to deep, so i'd say about 1/4 inch deep in some potting soil.

be sure to water and keep moist when you feel the dry pottin soil. about every 2 days.

also keep the seeds in a warm place that gets some indirect sunlight, until you see the little seedling coming up! then put them in direct sunlight on your windowsill, but make sure they dont get to hot and shrivel up!

then when spring comes around transplant into your garden! they do grow! since this is our new home now we will be doin this here.

im sorry this is probably more than you wanted to know!

Quoting Boobah:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)