Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How do I do I handle this.

Posted by on Sep. 21, 2011 at 1:47 AM
  • 10 Replies

At the start of the day I can ask Josie what letter makes the "ah" sound,we can read a book and I can ask her to show me the lower case "a" and the upper case "A" , to show me the number 0, the number 1 , how many apples would be in a tree if there were 0 apples in the ect.. and she tells me right off. But at the end of our school day she will just guess or get it wrong. What does this mean ? Is she bored? or something else? How can I fix it ?

by on Sep. 21, 2011 at 1:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hailnbray
by on Sep. 21, 2011 at 8:08 AM

how long are u working her. if shes learning numbers and letters id say shes pretty young and anything more then 20-40 min is way to long to work her for a school day. yes shes bored and tired and wants to play and have fun,

Mom71307
by on Sep. 21, 2011 at 8:30 AM

My daughter does better in the morning too... she is ready to think and learn and engage but by the afternoon, even with rest time, etc, she is burnt out from "school" things and just wants to play. She is 4 and there are times I can get her to do a very short bit of something less fun in the evening to show Daddy but most often, if we are going to do something academic, it needs to be fun, sneaky learning where she is more playing and learning through that.  Give her time and focus more of your schooling to when she is more apt to do better... start earlier in the morning if you need to get more in. Relax and do the more hands on fun things in the afternoon/evening.

oredeb
by on Sep. 21, 2011 at 10:19 AM

shes tired of you asking her, she already knows the answers!!! hahahahah

! just go on keep doing what your doing during the day and let her play , shes learning

my dh doenst even like to answer questions by the end of the day!!hahahah

misselphaba
by Bronze Member on Sep. 21, 2011 at 10:38 AM

I think it means she knows she answered you in the morning, so why answer the same questions later?  LOL 

Oh, and how to handle it ~ she might want you to quit "nagging" her.  That's what I call it when the kids ask me the same question more than once.  lol  Chill out, mom!!  If she knew them in the morning, she probably still knows them in the evening.  If you really want to make absolutely sure that it hasn't leaked out during the day, play a game of some sort that will be fun and show you what you want to know.

sew4fun
by on Sep. 21, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Yes she is young she is 5. We work for 2 hours a day but not all at one time and it is not all book work. We work for an hour with a few short breaks ( about 3-5 mins) then we take a longer break . When we come back from the long break we work for an hour but not always with breaks since this is the time I break out all the super fun , messy stuff LOL play dough, paint , glitter ect.   I was just giving an example. I do not ask her in the morning what things are I just notice she gets it correct as we are working. She has had a retention problem so I am just trying to see if the new things I am doing are helping any . So at the end of the day we have a quick review of what we went over that day . Nothing big,long or drawn out. We will go over our bible verse,number song (for our theme) , name song ( that I made up) and then I will hold something up (either a card or her work or even a book) and say "this is a ? " etc....

sew4fun
by on Sep. 21, 2011 at 11:56 AM

So I am not sure I am really nagging her but heck I may be LOL. I just do not want fail her again ( not fail her for the year but I feel I failed her as a mom last year with the HS thing)

Mom71307
by on Sep. 21, 2011 at 12:16 PM

I honestly think she sounds normal! My brain is more tired in the afternoon and I have a harder time with recall myself. It is no surprise that kids do. If she does it in the morning, she does not have a retention issue... she has an "I work better now" problem which is not actually a problem! I don't think you intend to nag her but it may seem that way to her. I think maybe don't do the review stuff in the afternoon unless it is within a gaming type setting... she might just be schooled out! I tend to spread my school through the day but we do more hands on, easy, unschooling things in the afternoon...!

misselphaba
by Bronze Member on Sep. 21, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Not nagging bad.  LOL  I just always tell my kids to quit nagging whenever they ask me the same question more than once.  Which backfired on me when we *were* doing structured schoolwork and I asked the kids some of the same questions at the end of the day as I had before we started school that day.  LOL 

Quoting sew4fun:

So I am not sure I am really nagging her but heck I may be LOL. I just do not want fail her again ( not fail her for the year but I feel I failed her as a mom last year with the HS thing)

loves2sew
by on Sep. 21, 2011 at 12:44 PM

My 5 year old does the same thing. It took a few days (OK, maybe weeks) of reminding him of the sound, then it just clicked. I was as worried as you. Give it time. Kids don't work on the same time frame we do. Hang in there and have confidencein you and her! Your already an extraordinary mom for taking the time to teach her and not pass the responsibility to some one else.

MommaChell
by on Sep. 21, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Sounds normal to me :) My 2 oldest will start guessing and stop trying when the become disinterested, for whatever reason; tired, bored, etc. The end of the day is the worst for it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)