Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you joined a homeschool group?

Posted by on Sep. 21, 2011 at 10:25 AM
  • 24 Replies

do you like it?

are the kids making friends,

what does your group do?

by on Sep. 21, 2011 at 10:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SCmomof3girls
by on Sep. 21, 2011 at 10:59 AM

We joined a group. They get together 2-3 times a month. One day is a field trip type activity, one day is a park play day and then whatever else gets added in.  Next week we have a park day, which is also Community Workers Day. We will have guests like a policeman, fireman, someone who works for Dept of Natural Resources and I do not remember who else. 

swim-mom72
by on Sep. 21, 2011 at 1:37 PM

We belong to a co-op. They have a Spring and a Fall semester, each lasting 9-10 weeks, with classes once a week. You do not have to attend the classes to be a part of the co-op. The other activities are filed trips, park days, social events, and field days. This particular co-op is under a national organization called First Class Homeschool Ministries.

This semester my 14 year old is taking a computer class, community volunteer class, and a Bible study/PE class. And my 11 year old is taking a Bible study/PE class, destruction class ( they are taking apart electronics and machines to figure out how they work), and a Keepers of the Faith class for boys.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 21, 2011 at 3:23 PM

We're kind of left out of the co ops around here. We're Christian but not Christian enough for the co ops near us. The inclusive co ops are too far away. I really wish we could join one.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2011 at 4:33 PM

I belong to two different yahoo groups.  They both have different things going on.  You pretty much just pick and choose what things you like to participate in.  We have two weekly co-ops and lego club that we are doing right now.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Have you tried starting one?  There might be others around that want to participate.  Just a suggestion.  Have a great week.

Quoting mem82:

We're kind of left out of the co ops around here. We're Christian but not Christian enough for the co ops near us. The inclusive co ops are too far away. I really wish we could join one.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2011 at 4:41 PM

I forgot to add that in our one co-op my sons are taking art, science, and PE.  Our other co-op is more relaxed and we take turns teaching different things.  Each session run for 6 weeks.  This session is farm animals and Indians.  Next session is going to be sewing and Physics(Iam teaching that one).  My kids love the co-ops.  There are so much fun for them.  They are fun for me too.  I get to sit and talk with friends while they play hard.  They are making lots of friends and having a lot of fun.  Our co-ops are usually off in the summer and usually follow the regular school schedule. 

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Sep. 21, 2011 at 6:23 PM
Ours is super informal. We meet once a month and just chat and play.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FlyHippie
by on Sep. 21, 2011 at 6:45 PM

Yep! We joined about 4 years ago...

My son has made A LOT of friends through our group...

Our teen/young adults do TONS....once a month activities are: movie night, teen movie night, astronomy club, game night, hang out night, book club.....and then they also have Odyssey of the mind groups and I'm starting a philosophy club for them....

They're always busy...

FlyHippie
by on Sep. 21, 2011 at 6:46 PM

Oh yeah...there's also Robotics in ours...I forgot coz my son doesn't do it! LOL!

boomom1973
by Member on Sep. 21, 2011 at 7:50 PM

We are new to homeschooling this year and are finding it hard to find a group with children my daughter's age. She is twelve and in the seventh grade. I am discouraged because we don't have neighborhood children her age, we just left our church and haven't found a new youth group and the home school groups we have found all have younger kids. My boys are young and have plenty of kids their age.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)