Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Have you joined a homeschool group?

Posted by   + Show Post

do you like it?

are the kids making friends,

what does your group do?

by on Sep. 21, 2011 at 10:25 AM
Replies (21-24):
bugfree
by on Sep. 26, 2011 at 3:29 PM

I love it!  My kids LOVE it! Here are some of the things they do, most of the kids things are weekly:

Lego club- think piles of legos and kids making whatever they want. We live in Seattle and we need fun indoor activities held at local library meeting rooms.  :-)

Park Day- Kids from birth to 12th grade play or hang out at the park. 

Book club- Kids discuss a book, usually an early chapter book

Teen club- I'm not sure what they do, but it is really popular with the teens.  I think they socialize or work on projects together.

Hiking- weekly hikes on trails within a half hour of where we live.

Craft Night and Book club for parents- parents get to meet at a restaurant to discuss books and work on crafts without kids. 

Field trips - We go to plays and factory tours (things I did in PS).  For discounts or these big tours, you usually need a lot of people and it is the type of thing I wouldn't be able to do on my own.  

JoyfulMommyof2
by on Sep. 28, 2011 at 7:03 PM

Yes, we do belong to a homeschool association--Southwest Louisiana Christian Home Educators Fellowship.  Yes, we love it!  The main thing the group does each year is host a homeschool convention.  A guest speaker is brought in to do three or four one-hour seminars.  We also have local veteran homeschoolers who put on different workshops during the time between the main seminars.  Topics are homeschool as well as family oriented.  There are even workshops specifically for men encouraging them in their role as head of the family, suggesting ways for them to be involved in the homeschooling process, and encouraging them to support their wives in this homeschooling endeavor on a daily basis.  The topics are varied covering everything from teaching special needs children to choosing curriculum.  It is so wonderful and encouraging and informational.  We also have vendors present with their products on display.  If you live anywhere near Lake Charles, Louisiana, I encourage you to attend our summer convention each year.

We also have the basic things--Mom's Night Out, Family Game Night, Park Day, Holiday Celebrations, Field Trips, etc.  There are also special interest clubs within our homeschool association--Chess Club, Keepers of the Home (Girls) Club, Contenders for the Faith (Boys) Club, Drama Club, 4-H Club, Basketball Team, Soccer Team, Softball Team, Dance Class, Co-op, etc.

We are under the main state homeschool association, Christian Home Educators Fellowship of Louisiana.  This group is active politically as advocates for state laws pertaining to homeschooling.  They meet with our politicians and provide lobbyists for our needs and desires.

It's a wonderful organization with uncountable benefits!

JoyfulMommyof2

busy mom

Kindwords2share
by on Oct. 3, 2011 at 11:57 PM

We live in SW Florida. Most of our groups are co-ops.  We joined two different groups nether are co-ops. :)  We get the kids together for field trips and play dates .  I have been in the school system in our county and I homeschool so that I teach our 8 yr old.. not a fan of co-ops. :)

somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2011 at 6:14 AM

Yes, we've been apart of a homeschooling group since we first started homeschooling. 
Yes I really liked it! I'm going to miss our group! We are moving soon so I'll be on a hunt to find a new group.

Celeste has made a lot of friends through the group. She's made life long friends with these kids.

We live over seas and because of that our group differs a lot from those State side. We don't have a co-op, but we do take a lot of field trips. We also have monthly meetings and stuff.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN