Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My (almost) 4yr old..

Posted by on Sep. 22, 2011 at 12:24 AM
  • 6 Replies

Hey all, I'm Cierra. I'm not really a homeschooler but I'd love some tips from you all! My oldest daughter will be 4 next month. Due to our states cut-off date of Sept. 1st she is not able to attended the lottery funded pre-k program. This means she also wouldn't be able to start kindergarten until almost 6! That is, unless she can test in as an almost 5 year old next year.

My question is, what are some ways I could go about teached her her numbers? Reading? and other things they teach in pre-k? She can count to 13, but doesn't know which number it is if it's written down. She knows her ABC's and can tell me what letter I am pointing too. She can also write a few letters on her own and identify them. I hae a hard time keeping her motivated, which I am sure has to do with the fact that I am just her mom. Any advice? Also, how/what can I start working on with my 18 month old? She already knows and can sayy all of her body parts. She has a pretty big vocabulary for her age.

Thanks all!

by on Sep. 22, 2011 at 12:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
peanut06
by on Sep. 22, 2011 at 1:36 AM

I'd say, in a year's time, she'll pick up the rest of that information, the same way she has picked it up so far :)  Tape index cards around the house labeling different things and she'll ask, don't worry LOL  For reading, read to her, following the words with your fingers.  It teaches left-to-right tracking, which is important for reading and writing.  Letters, check out starfall.com.  My dd is 3 years old and loves to "do letters" where she randomly chooses a letter.  And, this activity will help your almost 4 year old with some computer literacy, very important in our techy society.  For writing, coloring books help with hand muscle control.  Also, playdoh/moonsand, things like that.  For numbers and math-y things, check out RightStart Math, Level A, as it's very hands-on and lots of games. 

Most important of all is play.  Other than play, I wouldn't spend more than 20 minutes a day working on anything unless she wants to do more.

peanut06
by on Sep. 22, 2011 at 1:37 AM

Oh, and for the 18-month old, just let her follow what you're doing with big sister.  My dd loves to share information with her little brother and we learn best what we can share :)

oredeb
by debbie on Sep. 22, 2011 at 10:48 AM

just remember she only 4, she still a little girl yet! what ever you do with her in learning have fun doing it with her, let her enjoy learning,

some things i did with my  kids, i'd put the numbers on the wall, big number so they can be seen good, and we'd count every day, then during the day i'd point at one and ask her what the number is, if she didnt know i'd tell her, just be consistant helps a lot

make up some easy games using numbers, a fun one is concentration, using index cards that you write the numbers on, and  play the game with her, letting her turn them over looking for a match, and she gets the cards or an m and m if she knows the number.

you can also teach numbers with objects that helps when its time to learn some math, they need to see how many 2 or 4 or 5 really is with their eyes and be able to touch the objects.

another thing i do is make counting books, out of cloth or just paper or scrapbook paper etc, cut out the numbers and find objects in magazines or use buttons, etc then the child can sit there and look through it!

the library has stuff to so be sure to look there

a friend of mine does this with her 4 yr old, she lets her change the channels with the remotes, the mom says the number, and the child finds it and clicks it, the child loves it!

heres some neat worksheets to help also, http://www.kidslearningstation.com/

as for your baby, just have fun! play with her, she'll be watching you teach your younger child and will pick up alot there, not all kids are ready to learn at the same ages,  be sure to sit down, nice and comfortable or the kids can lay around with them everyday and read to them, that cuts through a lot of stuff! and closer bond it will make with your children, taking that time to sit and read, and your teaching them to sit while you talk/read. i still do that with all the kids! and a couple of them are teenage age!!they love it!

heres some more ideas, scroll way down etc

http://homemade-school.blogspot.com/search/label/math

romacox
by Silver Member on Sep. 24, 2011 at 6:14 AM

Over the years, I have watched the  public school system  push the kids faster and faster at earlier ages, and the success rate with the  kids is dropping drastically.  Their natural desire to learn is shutting down earlier and earlier.  I recommend not repeating the mistakes from the public schools, but return to what works.

Retaining the child's natural desire to learn for their lifetime is the goal that is reqularly achieved by  home school families..  Here is an article that will give you some ideas of the different methods used by home educators. http://www.read-phonics.com/how-to-homeschool.html

Understanding your child's personality makes a big difference as well: http://educatorssite.com/?p=718

Studies show young children learn best while at play, and real life experiences.  You can make a trip to the grocery store (have her help you count the tomatoes as you put them in the bag), a walk (teach Sequencing) ,   cooking ( have her cut the apple in half and quarters)  fun learning experiences.  She starts learning that what you will later teach her more formally has real meaning.  

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Sep. 24, 2011 at 7:37 AM

http://www.starfall.com/ worked really well for my daughter when she was that little for phonics and reading, but my daughter has always loved worksheets and such....
For counting, we made up lots of songs, played a different kind of hopscotch...we had the numbers written as a spiral around her to 20. When she tossed her pebble, she had to tell me what number it landed on to "win." When she got a better at it, thats how we did skip counting too. Say if the number landed on and even number, she would count by twos, if it landed on an odd number we counted by 3s. Counting by 5s and 10s would've have been too hard to jump over lol.  We made everything with numbers into some sort of game or other. 
With the youngest one - play. Everything they like doing at that age can be twisted into some sort of learning game or another.  If you don't mind having the kids watching videos, both of mine LOVED Leap Frog Letter Factory and learned their letter sounds from there... My little guy (he's 2) loves the Talking Words Factory and the Getting Ready for School movie.  The getting ready one has a cute song counting to 20, it introduces a bunch of other things too that they may learn starting school.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 24, 2011 at 10:58 AM

Ditto the Starfall.com

Also, pick a letter and number of the week to concentrate on and work it into everything you do. Have that number of grapes with lunch. Take a walk and find as many things as you can with that letter sound. There's no need to push, most of what kids learn in Preschool is easily picked up around the house. Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)