Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How was your OWN school experience?

Posted by on Sep. 22, 2011 at 3:45 PM
  • 27 Replies

Did you like school? Were you a good student?

by on Sep. 22, 2011 at 3:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SCmomof3girls
by on Sep. 22, 2011 at 4:37 PM

I liked school a lot. I was a teacher's pet kind of student. I loved filing and grading papers and just helping out whenever they needed it. I didn't have a whole lot of friends. I made mostly A's and B's. I wasn't big on a lot of the other students though....never understood how or why some of them would act the way they did. To me, teachers are like a second set of parents.....you listen to them and respect them. They are there to help you and guide you. I guess I lucked out and got all good teachers, I have heard some horror stories about teachers that just should not be teaching.

FlyHippie
by on Sep. 22, 2011 at 4:43 PM

I absolutely LOVED school...but only to hang with my friends. Not necessarily for learning. I loved dance and cheerleading and sports and friends.... I never got a love of learning, never saw the importance of an education really...

but DANG I had great cool friends...LOL...

oredeb
by debbie on Sep. 22, 2011 at 5:43 PM

it was ok, i couldnt read till 5th grade when a mean teacher finally noticed and got me some help(phonics)!!hahahah very thankful for her!

lots of bullies around, reason i homeschool, hate to see kids bullied!

i liked the work, classes, teachers, couple of the kids, haha,

i wasnt popular, never followed what others did, no trouble (unless the bullies told on me) no drugs or drinking, my friends and i would head for the mountains, write songs sing camp nature logging sports hike  all the way! i grew up in the 70s

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Sep. 22, 2011 at 5:47 PM

It would depend upon if you're talking about K-5 when I went to public school in which I loved the school but hated the kids that I went with, or 6th grade till graduation where I was homeschooled and loved the school and enjoyed learning a bit more.

misselphaba
by Bronze Member on Sep. 22, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Hated it.  Hated every second.  The best times of my school life was in 4th grade when I got CMV and was too sick for school.  I was so so sick for three weeks and then the doctors didn't want me going back to school.  They put me on the homebound program and I had a teacher come to my house for six weeks ~ best six weeks of my entire schooling life until my mom took me out of school in the beginning of tenth grade. 

I hated school.  I loved learning, but I hated hated hated school. 

And I went to a LOT of schools.  My dad was in the Navy and we moved every year or two.  I was always the new girl and I have never had the ability to go up to people and make friends.  I'm still like that. 

I got picked on in the beginning of fourth grade ~ to the point I thought I wanted to be dead. 

In tenth grade, I got picked on and bullied because I didn't want to go out with this guy anymore.  I wasn't really into the whole dating thing and once he started talking about sex, which I really wasn't ready for, I broke up with him.  My friends all hated me, I was a total outcast.  Also, it was a small tiny town ~ all the kids had been in the same schools (one elementary, one middle school, and one high school for the town) their entire lives, and the guy was a favorite of the town.  It wasn't good for me. 

usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 22, 2011 at 6:01 PM

I hated it! It felt like I was in a soap opera set in a prison ( my description of it now looking back) I was the kid that would hide from the bus & pray that the other kids didn't tell I was hiding. I was so thankful when I found out I was pregnant with my son at age 15 & was able to convince my parents to let me stay home & not go back to public school. They didn't know it at the time but (knowing now what I know about unschooling) they unschooled me. You know the funny thing is that no matter how much I hated school, I have always loved to learn, nothing they did to me there stopped my love for learning.  

lovepotato
by Member on Sep. 22, 2011 at 6:39 PM

In elementary school, I was totally ignored by all the other kids. I got a decent education but  the overall experience left me traumatized. In 6th grade, I moved to another school district with less money. I fit in better and still got a decent education. I was never pushed or paid attention to by my parents (lived with my mom and my dad had no authority because I met him when I was 10), so I developed some bad time management habits. I didn't do school work on time and never applied myself. I'm hoping to be more involved with my kids and notice their strengths and weaknesses early on.

MommaTasha1003
by on Sep. 22, 2011 at 7:41 PM

I enjoyed school for the most part... K-6th grade was my favorite years, I was in the same school, had tons of friends. Made good grades..... Life was pretty up in the air & was full of fun! (but as a parent, i would not want my child to step into my 5th grade shoes ever!)..

Then we moved & I entered the 7th grade at a new school. Finding new friends was HARD. The social groups where different than my other school. $$ meant A LOT. Designer clothes where noticed.. I always felt alone. In the 6 years I was at my "new school" I never had the amount of fun I had in 1 summer at my old school with my old friends...

--- From a teens/kids point of view, school was awesome, easy & I could not have imagined being homeschooled by my mom... But looking back as a parent, my experiences in school/ life scare me. From the time I was in 3rd grade until graduation, I pretty much lived & acted like a 16yo.. I hung out with older kids. I experienced life at a very young age..

mom2queenie2004
by on Sep. 23, 2011 at 8:00 AM

I don't think I hated school, but I struggled with my grades. I had A,B and C grades most of the time. More B and C than anything else.

I didn't like most of the people I went to school with. I had my little circle of friends and I got along with most of the teachers, even the ones most people couldn't stand.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2011 at 8:41 AM

I was a fairly average student.  I worked hard but I don't have a love of learning until I hit high school and college.  I didn't develop a love of books until I went to a private school and finally got some good teachers.  I also feel I had a very poor foundation in elementary.  Teachers didn't push me hard enough to excel.  I felt that my teachers didn't really know me well enough to push me to reach past my limits.  I consider myself fairly good in when it came to English but having a hard time in Science and math.  Although right now I am really learning to love science.  It is amazing how much more you enjoy a subject once you understand it better. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)