Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How was your OWN school experience?

Posted by   + Show Post

Did you like school? Were you a good student?

by on Sep. 22, 2011 at 3:45 PM
Replies (21-27):
vegiemama
by on Sep. 24, 2011 at 1:43 AM

School was ok.  My teachers were nice...but I can honestly say I didn't learn anything from them.  I was generally bored, and often worked ahead in workbooks...so I basically taught myself what I learned.  I had friends, but I wasn't the popular kid...I liked to wear skirts sometimes and got made fun of for that, plus every afternoon after school I practiced my instruments, so I got picked on for that because I wasn't vegged in front of the tv like the other kids were.

I homeschooled grades 9-12, and that was by far the best education I received.  I could pick and choose my friends to be those who valued our relationship and who were loyal friends (some 30+ years later!)  I was probably 16 or so when I promised to homeschool my own children...so here I am :-)

DelightfullyMad
by on Sep. 24, 2011 at 2:11 AM

Suckage. I did reasonably well, but I wasn't happy. I wasn't even bullied or anything, not much anyway, my school wasn't in the ghetto. I had friends and no shortage of boys who liked me, though all my friendships were superficial in nature except for one. Never had specific problems, but inside I was very alone and very unhappy. I was bored more than anything. Bored with the repetitive, monotonus and disconnected work, bored with the mindless soul-dead masses of my peers whose biggest thought was "is my brand of clothes better than Veronica's", bored with the uninspiring tone of the places and the teachers who'd long ago given up. It was so boring that it was unbearable. By the time I was in junior high I had pretty much given up and shut myself off. I learned to say what people wanted to hear and to not rock the boat. It was empty, but easy. I played dumb a lot, because being smart alienated people, and I figured out that if I just sat in the back, widened my eyes and acted like I was spaced out, no one gave me any grief and the teachers didn't call on me, and I could spend the day quietly reading or daydreaming without bother. I learned to expect less of others; that they couldn't disappoint my expectations if I had none. I faked my way through everything and graduated 2nd in my class a year young, but I had no real emotions about it, other than relief at being done. University was more fun after the first year once the jackasses had been weeded out or dropped out, but I still just pushed myself through on many things. I love learning, I hate schooling.

I wouldn't wish my experiences with school on my worst enemy.

bugfree
by on Sep. 24, 2011 at 7:22 PM

I loved school!  I had a great time with my friends and I was in sports year-round.  :-)  I hung out with friends, but I was BORED in class and lived for sports. 

alexsmomaubrys2
by on Sep. 24, 2011 at 7:25 PM

No and No.

Don't get me wrong. I understood it all but I was bored and had things going on at home so I missed a lot of school. I barely graduated high school but went on to make a B average in college.

I loved the extra curricular activities and my friends though.

Join me in Moms for Education
Moms for Education

"Oppression of spirit is not on
the public school curriculum. Rather, it's a noxious by-product produced
while stewing schooling in a pot w/ unions, administrators,
multi-billion dollar budgets, state education departments, and school
boards, then letting politicians control the heat." Linda Dobson

"When you want to teach
children to think, you begin by treating them seriously when they are
little, giving them responsibilities, talking to them candidly,
providing privacy and solitude for them, and making them readers and
thinkers of significant thoughts from the beginning. That's *if* you
want to teach them to think." ~ Bertrand Russell

Maridel
by on Sep. 24, 2011 at 9:05 PM

I loved school. One of the reasons at first I thought of the idea of homeschooling as ridiculous. I would have thrown a fit if my parents try to homeschool me, I really loved school and being with my friends. But as a parent looking back... there are things my children can afford to miss for the sake of their education and for the sake of having a close knit family relationship. Unfortunately as much as I loved my social life and found school to be "easy" cause I didnt have to try too hard to get above a 3.0 average, education wise school really sucked. It did not prepare me for college at all and now i've been at community college for 7 years and am yet to get an AA degree.

momversuswild
by on Sep. 25, 2011 at 6:46 PM

I was an A student, but HATED school.   And yes, my ps experience certainly influenced my decision to homeschool - though that is not the sole reason for our choice.

LovemyQ
by on Sep. 25, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Actually, school was never a problem for me. I got good grades, was very social, a good-girl, and played sports. I had tons of friends.

I was super naive, but my friends actually protected me from getting in trouble. For example, when someone offered me a cigarette at the "smoking doors" (yes, a place outside the building where students could smoke in high school) my friend said "get that away from her, I won't let her start smoking."

The world is not like it was when I went to school in the late 80's. I am more fearful of what my son would encounter.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN