Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Need advice from you homeschool veterans :)

Posted by   + Show Post
Okay, so my daughter is a freshman. She is very self motivated, and she works on school for about 5-6 hours per day. I don't push her to work that much, she just enjoys it. (Her little brother is a completely different story lol!). Here's my dilemma: if she continues at this pace, she'll be finished with all of her curriculum by the middle of December. What do I do? Do I let her finish, and then just give her review work until the end of the school year? Or do I go ahead and let her start her sophomore year after Christmas? I know she's retaining the information, so I'm not concerned that she's going too fast. Is it normal for home schooled high schoolers to finish this quickly? If she stays on this pattern, she will finish high school in two years! Anybody have any advice for me? Thanks much!!

Mom of Laura-my 13 going on 30 angel, and 10 year old Nathan, the happiest kid in the world who happens to have Asperger's.

by on Sep. 22, 2011 at 10:15 PM
Replies (11-11):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 26, 2011 at 9:08 PM

Quoting Knightquester:

I agree with usmom3, I have kids working ahead that will graduate and go to college early as I did when I was homeschooled.  The thing is if I feel the child is ready to move ahead I do give the child a chance to choose to review the material they've covered and become stronger in it and maybe have a light rest of the school year of work, or to move ahead to the next grade level material which is what they tend to choose.

Today my children's CT informed me it'll be fine for my second child to attend college courses next year, so I figure since she's so young, at least till she's 16, I will send her with my husband for protection and she can take evening courses.  It's a scary thought that they can grow up so fast, but I can't imagine holding them back if the brains and maturity are there.

I have a 15 about to be 16 yr old  who will graduate in the up-coming summer.  She has plans on furthering her education and getting a job. She is so excited.  So yes, let your kid work thier own pace. Its what makes learning enjoyable. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN