Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What do you use for teaching your children the computer??

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2011 at 11:02 AM
  • 11 Replies

do you use a curr, or just let them figure out what to do? or ?

by on Sep. 23, 2011 at 11:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2011 at 1:51 PM

I don't really need to teach them, by age two they were able to search the web by typing in the url, since then we've taken apart computers and put them together, installed several different types of software programs they love to use.  My husband and I being computer people tend to let the children be since they're naturally into it, I'll be starting to teach them to program either in the spring of this year or beginning of next school year.

muhajjirah
by on Sep. 23, 2011 at 2:43 PM
we are using Calvert, &they have nice computer lessons for each grade that are integrated in the lessons that walk the student through it in fun&engaging ways.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 23, 2011 at 2:48 PM

They learn it by using it!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2011 at 2:55 PM

We just let them search for things and whatnot. We do use something called Dance Mat Typing for free online so the kids learn how to properly.

Danielle163
by on Sep. 23, 2011 at 8:24 PM

DD already knows quite a bit about the computer. In October, we are starting Logo Adventures (computer programming for children).

countjb
by on Sep. 23, 2011 at 8:59 PM

We use Type Right Now. It comes with a "skin" that you can place over the keyboard so that there will be no "peaking". You can check it out on Amazon.

misselphaba
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2011 at 1:26 AM

We use the computer. 

DelightfullyMad
by on Sep. 24, 2011 at 1:48 AM

Good old fashioned trial and error, games, and curiosity. They both love games so they improve through those quite naturally.

alexsmomaubrys2
by on Sep. 24, 2011 at 7:59 PM

Quoting DelightfullyMad:

Good old fashioned trial and error, games, and curiosity. They both love games so they improve through those quite naturally.

Join me in Moms for Education
Moms for Education

"Oppression of spirit is not on
the public school curriculum. Rather, it's a noxious by-product produced
while stewing schooling in a pot w/ unions, administrators,
multi-billion dollar budgets, state education departments, and school
boards, then letting politicians control the heat." Linda Dobson

"When you want to teach
children to think, you begin by treating them seriously when they are
little, giving them responsibilities, talking to them candidly,
providing privacy and solitude for them, and making them readers and
thinkers of significant thoughts from the beginning. That's *if* you
want to teach them to think." ~ Bertrand Russell

kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 26, 2011 at 7:26 PM

Quoting Knightquester:

I don't really need to teach them, by age two they were able to search the web by typing in the url, since then we've taken apart computers and put them together, installed several different types of software programs they love to use.  My husband and I being computer people tend to let the children be since they're naturally into it, I'll be starting to teach them to program either in the spring of this year or beginning of next school year.

Our kids are somewhat like this. We are into taking apart and putting them back together either the same or improved.  Our kids have to know these things before they can graduate. I want our kids to habe every possible chance out there in the workforce and that includes technology. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)