Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

spelling

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2011 at 11:51 AM
  • 4 Replies
My 5th grader was doing so well with spelling, but now is not. I'm not sure what to do. We go over her words, she plays games with them and writes them. Either we need some new ideas or a new spelling program all together.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 23, 2011 at 11:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
mynameismuerte
by on Sep. 23, 2011 at 1:24 PM

We're using All About Spelling and I can't say enough good about it.  It actually teaches the child to spell, rather than temporarily committing lists of words to memory.

CREAMBROWN
by on Sep. 23, 2011 at 1:41 PM

Hmmm.. being at the 5th grd level of spelling words can be tough, if the child is still trying to commit to memory (temporarily remember) the words.  I think it's beyond important to teach spelling with a dictionary handy.  When you learn words based on the consonant blends and origins of certain sounds, it makes it easier to really get the gist of spelling ANY word.  

How do you lay her foundation for grasping the spelling of the words she's having trouble with?  

Maybe when you teach the words, you can incorporate writing assignments with the words (defining exercises, journal/sentence creation exercises, etc).

usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 23, 2011 at 2:47 PM

Play hangman with the words! Make word searches with & word scrambles with them! Here is a free puzzle maker

http://www.discoveryeducation.com/free-puzzlemaker/?CFID=13217955&CFTOKEN=46891089

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2011 at 3:30 PM

We have done word searches, hangman, and definitions. even pre tests to know what words she needs help on and post tests to see if she learned them.  All about spelling might be what we need, just a start over.  I don't know.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)