Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Is there anything else in your life that society would consider alternative besides homeschooling?

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2011 at 3:08 PM
  • 73 Replies
1 mom liked this

Do you march to a different drummer?

by on Sep. 23, 2011 at 3:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hailnbray
by on Sep. 23, 2011 at 3:13 PM

i dont know. i mean we have a different way of looking at life and sometimes i feel like the odd ball at play dates but i dont think its anything crazy. we allow our children freedom, they have natural punishments instead of time outs. they pretty much choose everything that do in life with little guidance from me. im more relaxed and they get along better when they have to work out there own issues.

usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 23, 2011 at 3:23 PM

I have a list of things:

We have an unconventional schedule ( we get up between 10 & 11 AM  and go to bed at Midnight) My hubby works from Noon to 10PM Mon-Fri  so that is why we do it.

I make my own laundry soap & dish washer detergent

I use vinegar, baking soda, lemon juice, citric acid, peroxide & hot water to clean with

We compost veg. & fruit scraps with yard clippings

we never buy a car brand new ( we work on them when needed too)

we don't just homeschool we unschool

There are things I want to do but just haven't done them enough or at all to put them on this list yet.

Knightquester
by on Sep. 23, 2011 at 3:35 PM

Yes on many levels but I'm fine with being different.  I don't know very many that can connect with me on all levels outside my husband, and even fewer of them are female.  The friends I have are all able to connect with me on at least one or more levels and they are genuine friends that understand me and my life as I do them and their life.  As for the rest of society, I could care less about outsiders and their viewpoints.

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2011 at 3:50 PM

Yes, we are just very different from the "norm".  We also home church and are very conservative people.  We are also very frugal but so are a lot of others. 

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2011 at 4:01 PM
I don't fit in because how I look, dark colors and the music we listen to, melodic metal. We game as a family, video and table top role play -the dungeons and dragons. My children are wide in age and we cannot do things for our son because our daughter isn't welcome and she has to come.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wright1212
by on Sep. 23, 2011 at 4:02 PM

I feel alot of things I do sometimes get me strange looks, or they would if they knew!

1. Clothdiapering, i was surprised at negative feedback!
  2. Breastfeeding past age 1, jeez people he gave it up at 20 months back off already
  3. We go to a baptist church since they are the ONLY one that my son can go to, he has his own special class to meet his needs. But we dont see eye to eye on all their beliefs. It really puzzles me how most of them truly believe men are to be in charge and dominate (sorry, dont mean to offend anyone)
  4. I play xbox, COD-zombies. When live most guys wont play with me once they realize i am female.
  5. I LOVE LOVE rap and hip hop music. I try to play dance central all the time. (this would get laughs since im a pluz size girl) <3 Black Eyed Peas <3
  6. among homeschool friends they dont understand the 'no worksheets' concept i have
  7. outside of co-workers and DH family we are the most educated (i dont mean smarter), a few have told me they are offended or jealous of that. i honestly try not to bring it up.
  8. I enjoy my husband ;-P

That is all I can think of, especially since I now feel I opened my book of secrets. LOL

Mommy to Corbin (8-epilepsy,autism, add) Kayla (6) Collin (1.5), Wife to Ben-OT, and I love teaching- M.Ed Early Childhood. SAHM & Homeschooling. Come watch us at www.youtube.com/user/1212wright

FlyHippie
by on Sep. 23, 2011 at 6:50 PM

Yes. I live in a teeny conservative southern baptist texas town...

I homeschool. I homebirth. I nurse my babies for a long time. I am a Buddhist. I'm not conservative much at all....very much a hippie chick.

I get along with everyone so they laugh about my quirkiness...but by no means am I like the people around here...not that it's bad...I'm just very Dharma in a Greg world...

MommaTasha1003
by on Sep. 23, 2011 at 11:50 PM

Not much, but it will grow when we get a place of our own (if ever!!!)...

--- We are going with a Midwife/Birth Center this go around (if we had our own place it would be a home birth)

--- Nursing Past 1yr..

--- Co-Sleeping..

--- NO CIO...

mom2queenie2004
by on Sep. 24, 2011 at 9:11 AM

I have always done my own thing and pretty much never followed the norm.

I am submissive to my husband.

I don't think daycare is just the same as mommy.

I also make my laundry soap and use vinegar to clean.

My kids can't watch PG movies unless I have seen them first. Most of their friends have read and seen the Harry Potter series or even Star Wars... just too much for a 5 and 7 year old.

oredeb
by on Sep. 24, 2011 at 11:57 AM

yes and no! depends on who im hangin out with! and where im at!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN