Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What does your state require?

Posted by   + Show Post

Here in Ohio, we have to turn in test scores, a brief outline for the year and a curriculm list at the start of each school year. We also have to guarantee 900 hours of school time but we don't have to track or prove that.

by on Sep. 27, 2011 at 10:05 AM
Replies (21-26):
JoyfulMommyof2
by on Sep. 28, 2011 at 6:00 PM

I live in Louisiana.  We can register as a private school by simply sending a letter to the State each year prior to 30 days after the beginning of the school year.  There are only three rules to follow.  It is mandatory for children to attend school for ages 7 through 17.  We are required to have 180 school days (can include field trips).  We basically must include the same subjects that are taught in public school, including the Declaration of Independence and the Federalists Papers.  Not as easy as Texas, but not to difficult either!

JoyfulMommyof2

busy mom

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2011 at 10:25 PM

Not really.  As I said I do not believe children belong to "Caesar".  If we did have a problem we would just move back to TX or MO again. 

Quoting mem82:

Are you worried about Truancy Charges?

Quoting bren_darlene:

I am not sure. LOL  I live in AR.  I think you are supposed to tell the schools and test but we don't do it.  Don't believe in the government being involved in the decisions we make for our children.

I am a stay at home,  home educating, non-vaxingmother to many children :)  And a very happy wife to a wonderful man!!!

wright1212
by on Sep. 29, 2011 at 12:11 AM

Well I thought TN was easy, KY seems easier.

Here we have to NOI before school starts or pay a late fee. Keep tally of 180 days of 4 hours each. Then testing in 5th, 7th, 9, 12. Thats it.

OH and I take my son to school to get speech and ot and soon ABA. My DD may get speech too.

I personally believe the standards should be a little more. I know several who are not teaching anything, the honestly dont do any schooling at all. JMO, no offense to anyone.

Mommy to Corbin (8-epilepsy,autism, add) Kayla (6) Collin (1.5), Wife to Ben-OT, and I love teaching- M.Ed Early Childhood. SAHM & Homeschooling. Come watch us at www.youtube.com/user/1212wright

Mojitomommy
by on Sep. 29, 2011 at 12:26 AM
I am in AR too

Quoting bren_darlene:

I am not sure. LOL  I live in AR.  I think you are supposed to tell the schools and test but we don't do it.  Don't believe in the government being involved in the decisions we make for our children.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JCB911
by on Sep. 29, 2011 at 10:17 PM

I'm in WI - and I think we have it easiest - We fill out the from to send to the state - only our kids ages (NOT names/grades)  And it's available online this year.

We are to do 875 hours of "school" but do NOT document it.

DelightfullyMad
by on Sep. 30, 2011 at 12:22 AM

All my province requires is notification to the local board. The only time they ask for any information at all is if the child enters public school or if they're investigating potential abuse/neglect. And what that information is, they don't specify, so I generally assume they want a vague outline of what you do to make sure that you're not just leaving the kid alone all day on the front porch, or making them work a job or something.

We have full access to public school resources and can attend part-time and be fully funded, which is nice if the girls ever want to try out school, we won't be locked into it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)