Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What are you struggling with as you teach your children?

Posted by on Sep. 27, 2011 at 10:55 AM
  • 23 Replies

are you having a hard time teaching a certain thing, or concept, with any of your kids? what helped or maybe one of the moms on here will have some ideas to help!

by on Sep. 27, 2011 at 10:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 27, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Cole and I are working on reading. Some days he is on the ball and other days...not so much!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Sep. 27, 2011 at 12:04 PM
Oddly enough... Art! I'm not loving this art with Mona Brooks book.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Sep. 27, 2011 at 12:04 PM
It's called drawing with children. Lol not art with Mona Brooks. She is the author.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 27, 2011 at 12:08 PM

Is it like a book on how to sketch?

smc0178
by on Sep. 27, 2011 at 12:23 PM

writing, in terms of setting up papers..I can write a paper but I stink at trying to teach it..but we are getting there

bellableu87
by on Sep. 27, 2011 at 1:27 PM
My oldest gives me no feedback at all. When we work on our colors and shapes she looks at me like I'm talking to a brickwall. When I ask her questions she goes on about something not even related to what we are doing so I don't know if she understands or not. Then sometimes out of the blue she will say something that makes me think she understands. Idk its frusterating. Then my 3yo will work along with you and answer your questions. Its very frusterating but I'm trying to be patient and keep trying.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cedailey
by on Sep. 27, 2011 at 2:00 PM

The arts: art, music, drama...so not my thing.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Sep. 27, 2011 at 3:05 PM

It's hard to describe.  It gives you all this "extra" stuff, like 5 different drawing warmups, and relaxation exercises.  Which is fine, but the "lessons" aren't really broken into lessons, if that makes sense.  It's super hard for me to follow for some reason.  Mainly because they add so much other stuff in there.  It is very high prep for the parent.  It is all based on the five elements of shape/design.

Dot family:  dots and circles

Line family: curved line, straight line, spiral, and angle

So basically everything in the world are made up of these 5 elements in regards to drawing them.

You pretty much HAVE to read the book before starting, at least that is what I have been gathering.  It's broken out in levels (level 1, 2 or 3) which is also good, but you end up reading a bunch of stuff and then getting to where it says "for level two, it is similar to level one but..."

I'm not saying word for word, and it probably isn't all that hard to understand, but apparently I need art laid out for me.  haha  I am using a lesson guide I found on the internet, but it doesn't really help.  

I just want to draw, paint and color dangit!  ;)  I'm kidding, I want to teach her the basics/fundamentals.  I just wish it wasn't so.... much!

It is apparently an awesome program because it is highly recommended and there are monart schools - which is what this book teaches.  *sigh* one day maybe all this work will pay off and she'll be amazing at art, right? 

Quoting mem82:

Is it like a book on how to sketch?

Maridel
by on Sep. 27, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Oh they are listening! Just like you said, out of the blue they will say stuff and it makes me go "oh they did get it!" lol. I read to my DD and sing songs and stuff even when I think she's not listening (it takes patience to remind myself cause she can be really distracted) but I just keep going knowing some of it is sinking into her brain! lol keep going!

Quoting bellableu87:

My oldest gives me no feedback at all. When we work on our colors and shapes she looks at me like I'm talking to a brickwall. When I ask her questions she goes on about something not even related to what we are doing so I don't know if she understands or not. Then sometimes out of the blue she will say something that makes me think she understands. Idk its frusterating. Then my 3yo will work along with you and answer your questions. Its very frusterating but I'm trying to be patient and keep trying.

Maridel
by on Sep. 27, 2011 at 3:29 PM

We are having a hard time with reading, my DD knows how but she doesn't like to, too much work she says lol. Its just the one thing to makes her THINK and she's used to things just being easy for her (like her math). So we are struggling with being able to challenge her without frustrating her cause she doesn't want to do it. So what works is if I read with her, in her reader books I will read one sentence and she reads the next. THat works sometimes. Keeping the distractions down helps cause she will NOT be able to read the words if there is too much noise. And doing it when she is in a good mood, if we try when she is already being whiny forget it, it will never work.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)