Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any Classical homeschoolers?

Posted by on Sep. 27, 2011 at 6:34 PM
  • 10 Replies

Does the statement below describe what you do??

What curr. do you use?

What is Classical Education

Classical homeschool education is based upon the Trivium. This is a teaching model that parents and other educators use in order to provide their children with the best education possible. The Trivium is meant to tailor the curriculum to the way that a child develops cognitively.

The Trivium is broken into three parts for the three degrees of education that a child will have during his or her life. During the grade school ages, the model emphasizes concrete thinking and memorizing of facts. This is done in all of the general education subjects. Classical thinks believed that when a child is in grade school, his or her brain is best suited to memorize facts and learn about concrete ideas.

During the middle school years, abstract thinking is developed. Classical thinking is that during this age, children are better able to learn what analytical thinking is and to harness it within their studies.

During the high school years, students are taught abstract thinking and articulation of their subjects. By teaching the subjects in these three different ways during a child's life, it is thought that the brain will develop to the best of its potential and that the child will be well educated.

by on Sep. 27, 2011 at 6:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hailnbray
by on Sep. 27, 2011 at 7:04 PM

i think more public schools are even teaching abstract thinking and more in depth problem solving in grade schools.

today I can say I just sat back and was greatful for having the greatest kids I could ask for. I am going to worry less and love a little more. I am going to stop counting the minutes till bed time and start counting the minutes till good night kisses. I am going to stop crying and start laughing. I know together this family can move mountains one rock at a time
Maridel
by Bronze Member on Sep. 27, 2011 at 7:09 PM

I'm working towards building a classical curriculum, but we are just starting Kindergarten. We will see how it goes!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Sep. 28, 2011 at 7:58 AM
I'm mostly Charlotte mason with a little classical. Not so much the trivium and all that but some of the curric I use is used by many classical teachers. Story of the world ancients, Saxon math, drawing with children, I think that is all...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mynameismuerte
by on Sep. 28, 2011 at 8:05 AM
Most of our curriculum is from The Well Trained Mind. I feel like it will pay off in the end. We're only doing K/1st with my oldest this year so we'll see what happens.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrspriceisright
by on Sep. 28, 2011 at 10:17 AM

Yes, we follow the trivium.

The definition you provided is a good basic one, except, I wouldn't describe it as grade, middle and high school years.  It's more age related that grade related in my opinion. 

There are a few things that are also common to classical but not mandatory.  One is teaching history chronologically.  This makes a big difference for mija.  It follows a storyline instead of piecemeal approach.  Another subject that is often added is Latin. 

Generally, there is no "classical curriculum" because it tends to focus on using real books and sources instead of textbooks.  Personally, we used the ideas in The Well-Trained Mind as a jumping off place.  Some of the things we used are Singapore Math, Spelling Power, Handwriting Without Tears to teach but copywork to practice penmenship, Language Lessons and Story of the World from the authors of Well-Trained Mind, and TONS of library books!

Betsy

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Sep. 28, 2011 at 12:48 PM
Forgot about English for the thoughtful child for grammar, but we haven't started that yet
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
homeschoolmama2
by on Oct. 3, 2011 at 3:47 PM

I tend to blend Classical with Charlotte Mason.  We use Heart of Dakota, First Language Lessons Level-4 and "OLD" school mastery math (The way my husband and I were taught). 

This is our first year with Heart of Dakota and First Language Lessons.  We Used Rod and Staff Curriculum and Story of the World, in the beginning of our homeschool journey.  I wanted a more traditional curriculum when we first started out.  As I became more confident in my teaching; I would implement a bit of Classical and Charlotte Mason where I thought was needed.  I am now very happy with the blend of these two teaching methods.  The blessing is the fruit of knowledge my children are gaining.  

somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2011 at 6:24 AM

I do! :) Currently I'm using Classical Conversations. That might change to Tapestry of Grace though. I like both. Sometimes I wish I could use like 4 different curriculum all at once. LOL 

FlyHippie
by on Oct. 4, 2011 at 10:08 AM
1 mom liked this

blegh. I don't label! Trying to read the definitions to decide "what I am"...makes my head spin! LOL

So I don't know. Yes, we problem solve...

momversuswild
by on Oct. 4, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Quoting FlyHippie:

blegh. I don't label! Trying to read the definitions to decide "what I am"...makes my head spin! LOL

So I don't know. Yes, we problem solve...

Totally agree!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)