Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What kind of laundry soap do you use?

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2011 at 11:02 AM
  • 16 Replies

what kind do you use?

buy it or make it

what do you like about it

theres so many new kinds out there!

by on Sep. 28, 2011 at 11:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2011 at 11:31 AM

I use whatever is cheapest. lol 8)

usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 28, 2011 at 12:11 PM

I make mine! I like it because it is cheaper then the cheapest you can get at the store and cleans better then most of them.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Sep. 28, 2011 at 12:44 PM
I used to make mine (fels naphtha, washing soda, and I think borax?) but my clothes never got clean it seemed. Now I use tide or purex. Sometimes rockin green when I feel like I need to strip my towels or sheets of buildup.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SCmomof3girls
by on Sep. 28, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Quoting Boobah:

I used to make mine (fels naphtha, washing soda, and I think borax?) but my clothes never got clean it seemed. Now I use tide or purex. Sometimes rockin green when I feel like I need to strip my towels or sheets of buildup.

I used to make mine and stopped for the same reason. They smelled a little weird sometimes and the whites were getting to be a little greyish. I use the Natural Elements Purex...love the smell of that stuff.

CREAMBROWN
by on Sep. 28, 2011 at 1:18 PM

tide, gain, purex, surf, wisk  (whatever I get the best deal on in my couponing)

MeerkatMama
by on Sep. 28, 2011 at 1:41 PM

I use the homemade recipe, but I also used to get the same results as the other described.  I didn't feel my clothes were getting cleaned either, until through a series of events, I learned I had hard water, and needed a softener.  Once I added the softener, clothes seemed a lot cleaner than before!  Calgon is what I use for a softener, because it is phosphate-free, which I purchase from Amazon.  Calgon also made a difference in my cloth diapers.  No more stinkies.

I learned this the hard way after trying several "natural" dishwasher detergents and just couldn't find one that would clean my dishes.  Then I discovered a natural one that had a softener in it and instantly, I had the cleanest dishes!  I connected the dots when I did some research online about hard water and "natural" cleaners.  Hard water needs to be softened in order for those cleaners to be effective.  Makes complete sense when you read the differences between soft and hard water.

So the home made recipe works, but if you have hard water, you need to add a softener.  I also add essential oils to mine to boost cleaning and for my own senses.  :)  I recently learned about Thieves oil and plan to try that in my next (small) batch to see how it does.  It gets excellent reviews online, so I'm hopeful.  :)

(Boobah, I have used Rockin' Green, too, but found that only the "hard water" version worked for us.  Maybe you have hard water, too?  I would look into getting a softener and perhaps you could go back to the cheap home made recipe?)

oredeb
by on Sep. 28, 2011 at 4:32 PM

i make mine also, i dont use the fels napa, i use my own soap that i make for that part of it , we dont have hard water, and i use an scent also so it keeps things white, if i get a tough spot i just rub some of my soap in it!hahah

http://www.thefamilyhomestead.com/laundrysoap2.htm

crystals step by step in pictures of how to make it

jamie8bing
by on Sep. 28, 2011 at 11:29 PM
I use Kirkland (Costco brand) Free and Clear. No fragrance or dyes!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2queenie2004
by on Sep. 29, 2011 at 8:20 AM

I make my own.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Sep. 29, 2011 at 8:46 AM
That's a good point! I do have semi hard water. We use hard rock also, so that makes sense! I'll have to give it another try. ;) thank you!

Quoting MeerkatMama:

I use the homemade recipe, but I also used to get the same results as the other described.  I didn't feel my clothes were getting cleaned either, until through a series of events, I learned I had hard water, and needed a softener.  Once I added the softener, clothes seemed a lot cleaner than before!  Calgon is what I use for a softener, because it is phosphate-free, which I purchase from Amazon.  Calgon also made a difference in my cloth diapers.  No more stinkies.

I learned this the hard way after trying several "natural" dishwasher detergents and just couldn't find one that would clean my dishes.  Then I discovered a natural one that had a softener in it and instantly, I had the cleanest dishes!  I connected the dots when I did some research online about hard water and "natural" cleaners.  Hard water needs to be softened in order for those cleaners to be effective.  Makes complete sense when you read the differences between soft and hard water.

So the home made recipe works, but if you have hard water, you need to add a softener.  I also add essential oils to mine to boost cleaning and for my own senses.  :)  I recently learned about Thieves oil and plan to try that in my next (small) batch to see how it does.  It gets excellent reviews online, so I'm hopeful.  :)

(Boobah, I have used Rockin' Green, too, but found that only the "hard water" version worked for us.  Maybe you have hard water, too?  I would look into getting a softener and perhaps you could go back to the cheap home made recipe?)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)