Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you let your kids do while you are reading to them?

Posted by   + Show Post

when reading sometimes kids just cant sit still! so what do you let your kids do while you read to them?

do they have to just sit there and listen?

or do they do something else, draw, legos, etc?

by on Sep. 28, 2011 at 11:07 AM
Replies (21-26):
tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Sep. 30, 2011 at 7:09 PM
Depends on time of day, what we're reading, how he's feeling. If I'm reading a book about trains or any kind of transportation and he's feeling hyper, he'll run to get his trucks to play with quietly while I read. Near naptime and bedtime, LO snuggles in next to me and looks at the words as I read and follow the words with my finger. I really like reading to him at snacktime because he pays close attention.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tamikadorch26
by on Oct. 1, 2011 at 1:24 AM

I like to read to my kids when its time for bed and when they come home from school because I have to sign the paper saying I read to  them the book. My kids loves stories. They sit and listen. They also make up their own story and we take turns telling them because kids have the best storys you can come up with.

sew4fun
by on Oct. 1, 2011 at 11:45 AM

It just depends really . With school I ahve been trying to find a craft that related to the book somehow to keep on hand if they start getting antsy I let them do that . But for the most part my girls really just love to be read to so i do not have much of an issue.

katzmeow726
by Bronze Member on Oct. 1, 2011 at 11:48 AM
It depends. Since they are so young, I usually read while they play, they just have to stay in the room. Most times they sit with me.
At bed time, it is settle down time, so they have to be in bed
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boomom1973
by Member on Oct. 1, 2011 at 11:53 AM

When I read to my boys (8 and 5) I stop after 2-3 pages and ask them questions. The one who raises his hand first to answer wins. This seems to keep their attention.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 1, 2011 at 3:00 PM

This is an interesting view point.

Quoting homeschoolmama2:

Hi Oredeb,

I recently changed my viewpoint on this topic ; starting our new school year with new curriculum.  I am now requiring my children to give their complete focus on what I am reading; this will give them a better ability for comprehension and to narrate back to me accurately and effectively. For one, it is respectful. I want my children to show respect to whom ever is speaking to them.  I do not want to allow a bad habit of ignoring others words and acting socially rude.  And secondly, I want their FULL attention.  If I must give my full attention to that which I am reading or teaching, then it is expected of them to learn to give me that same effort.  Granted, this is hindsight.  My children are now 10 years old.  We have had many distracting issues during learning time.  I put most of the burden on myself because I was trying to make schooling "homey".  I allowed the children to do other things while I read.  I didn't think there was any harm being done.  What I should have realized was that I had created a poor learning habit that continued for a few years until I decided we needed a change in our homeschool learning philosophy.  Well, learning is all about experiences: good ones and poor ones.  We have been practicing these new rules for a few weeks now. Their attention span has greatly improved.  They are both narrating very well on most subjects.  Self-Control is hard on some children. however it is not impossible.   

I hope this give you some insight into your question.

Sincerely,

Homeschoolmama2

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)