Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Any Charlotte Mason Homeschoolers?

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2011 at 11:40 AM
  • 7 Replies

any charlotte mason homeschoolers? all the way or part?

what do you like best about it ?

what dont you like?

Charlotte Mason is one the the most popular homeschool-styles. It was British educator in the late 1800’s. Her observations, experience and philosophy as a teacher has created an entire methodology to homeschooling. In the Charlotte Mason method, there are some basic principals to which the educator should adhere. Some of the basic principals are using “living” books, employing narration in your lessons, working on forming better habits, short lessons for young children and the use of dictation for spelling and grammar. Much use is also made of repetition and practice for mastery in terms of writing and doing copy work. Through the principals espoused by Charlotte Mason, children will absorb lessons better and retain information longer than by simply doing worksheets, etc. The Charlotte Mason methodology actively engages children’s minds and creates relevancy in order to retain the information in the long-term.

by on Sep. 28, 2011 at 11:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Sep. 28, 2011 at 12:46 PM
Memememememe!
We are most of the way cm.
What I like best - it is so... Natural. Like, I don't feel pressured and stressed about anything really (except art, whole other story, and is not cm based. Maybe that's the problem) it is a smooth easy way to learn. I love using living books!
What don't I like... Hmmm... I don't know!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
swim-mom72
by on Sep. 28, 2011 at 5:12 PM

A LOT of how we school is Charlotte Mason "influenced" but I am not 100% CM. Our style is a blend of CM, unit studies and a little traditional thrown in. My oldest would be ALL traditional if it were totally up to him. So, I make a compromise and he gets traditional texts for Grammar/Writting and Science. But, there is still enough dictation, narration, copywork, etc. mixed in to keep me happy : ) And my younger son thrives with CM style. We are trying a traditional approach to spelling with him this year though, because he really seems to struggle in that area. And BJU has worked beautifully, but it could be that all the past years of CM are finally kicking in for him.

JoyfulMommyof2
by on Sep. 28, 2011 at 6:32 PM

I love Charlotte Mason's philosophy, and I love "living" books!  We stay away from text books as much as possible, except for arithmetic.  I also loves that it seems to bring us all closer as a family unit because there is so much discussion and interaction. 

JoyfulMommyof2

busy mom

cedailey
by on Sep. 28, 2011 at 10:38 PM
We're about 95% Charlotte Mason. I use Ambleside Online as a spine and modify for our needs.

homeschoolmama2
by on Sep. 30, 2011 at 8:00 PM

I love Charlotte Mason!  Have implemented her methods for the past 2 years.

I am currently, using her method with Heart of Dakota's "Preparing Hearts for HIS Glory".   I decided to choose this curriculum this year because much of Heart of Dakota has many Charlotte Mason methods included in their lesson plan.  This gives me the freedom and flexibility to tweak it to fit my children's needs and learning styles.  I needed a set 4-day scheduled plan this year.  I was getting overwhelmed trying to pick my own curriculum and books, and then worrying we were not getting enough accomplished throughout the year. (Note:  Needless to say; my dear children have continued to proved me wrong each year by evaluating well above grade level...Praise the LORD!!!).   I still do my own math curriculum and chose this year to use First Language Lesson-Level 4 for our formal grammar study.  My children seem to like HOD- PHFHG, which makes me very happy.  I am seeing true spiritual growth from this curriculum in the hearts of my children.  My prayer for them is to develop a true love of God's word through our learning time each day and to create a love of learning this year; not just give them workbooks and busywork. But develop a heart's desire for GOD in all their studies.  I was totally fixed on another curriculum but something in my spirit kept me from purchasing it.  I truly believe GOD was re-directing me to the Heart of Dakota curriculum.  I must have been on their website for two weeks straight:  wrestling with myself.  Finally, after totally surrender the situation to GOD; I prayed about it and discussed it with "our principal" (dear husband) having total peace and confirmation bought HOD.  This has fit for my family.  I thank GOD at the end of each school day...I am so grateful for being sensitive to HIS spirit and HIS direction to Heart of Dakota for my family's needs.  Our homeschooling this year is truly being blessed beyond measure.  The folks at Heart of Dakota are a wonderful Christian family.  What a blessed they were for us.  I can't say enough.  

I apologize for my long-winded post.  I pray for understanding.  

Quote:

"What is worth beginning is worth finishing, and what is worth doing is worth doing well"              ---                                                                                  -  Charlotte Mason -

jen2150
by Silver Member on Oct. 1, 2011 at 9:18 AM

Our family is eclectic so we use a variety of methods.   Right now we using Noeo for science  and it is a blend of CM and classical and we really love it.  Since I use a variety of methods I don't think I get the negative part.  I like using the best of them all.  I don't think textbooks are evil though.  I use them a lot of time as reference books.  I also choose textbooks that are really interesting.  My kids love having me read them and also looking at them themselves.  Our favorite way to study a subject is to pick a subject and hit the library and find as many books as we can on the subject.  Last night I told my son to go grab a favorite new book that I got.  He went and grabbed a science textbook that I grabbed the other day at goodwill.  So we read it for awhile.  He loved it. 

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Oct. 1, 2011 at 11:58 AM

We've been Charlotte Mason homescholers from the beginning - (February 2005). 

At first we tried different things here and there, and now we're probably about 90% CM.  A couple of years ago we started using Ambleside Online (a CM curriculum) and we love it.

I love everything about it.  I love the philosophy on reading, writing, & spelling, the focus on excellent literature, nature studies, artist and composer studies, short lessons, getting outside every day...I can go on and on with how much I love and agree with.  Every one of her methods we've tried and used has been right for ds.

I may not implement every single one of her ideas (only due to lack of time or interest at that moment), but I haven't really found anything I don't like. 

Angela

dd(17) Freshman in college

dd(15) Sophomore at performing arts high school (dance)

ds(10) 5th Grade homeschooler (Ambleside Online & TT7)

Visit my Blog

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)