Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Help! Kindergarten number recognition, 10+

Posted by on Sep. 29, 2011 at 11:06 AM
  • 10 Replies

My daughter is struggling with recognizing numbers 10+. She recognizes 0-9, can write them, and can pretty much count to 100. But for some reason she isnt quite grasping 10+.  I am open to any suggestions to help her get this.

by on Sep. 29, 2011 at 11:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oredeb
by on Sep. 29, 2011 at 11:21 AM

how old is she?

is she able to see the numbers and point at them?

even counting objects?

My3coconuts
by on Sep. 29, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Flash Cards?

rbmommy
by on Sep. 29, 2011 at 2:17 PM

My kinder struggled too with learning numbers 11-20. All I can say that worked for her was repitition repition repitition! Everyday we would go over the numbers and she would trace them and say them and finally it sunk in! I would also say that flashcards might help too. Maybe make a memory game out of flashcards.

Renee family in the van

lau55
by on Sep. 30, 2011 at 1:29 PM

She is 5.5.  She can count objects, but cannot consistently recognize numbers she sees.

Mom71307
by on Sep. 30, 2011 at 2:06 PM

It is helping my daughter to work with base 10 blocks and see that once you get to the 9, you add another stick to change the # in front... make sense?! My daughter is just 4 but this is really helping her understand it... she doesn't recognize flawlessly yet and I don't expect her to but understanding the 10's, 20's, etc are the same at the beginning then you add the 1, 2, 3, etc really has helped...

Maridel
by on Sep. 30, 2011 at 4:54 PM

we are working on that too except, mine can do 1-9 and 20+ but she still can't get the teens (not coutning them right or recognizing them)

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 30, 2011 at 5:00 PM

My son went through that! What really got me was that one count through and he knew 13 the next he didn't. Then it would be some other number randomly, over and over! So frustrating. I had to walk away and then come back to it, fresh, a few weeks later.

lau55
by on Sep. 30, 2011 at 5:08 PM

Ive started writing out 3 numbers, 0-19, and having her tell me which is the highest and which is the lowest number. She does that pretty well, but yet if I tell her to point to 12, she doesnt know. I guess we are just going to keep going over it.

Gumberly
by on Oct. 1, 2011 at 2:19 PM
My son had the same issue for a while. I switched him to Math U See and that seemed to help him greatly.
amy_dawn
by on Oct. 3, 2011 at 12:55 PM

The 'teens' are difficult to learn because they are the only numbers with names that don't follow a pattern. My kids had difficulty learning them. It helped when I showed what they looked like, along with numbers in the 20's and beyond, not expecting them to learn those numbers beyond 20, but just helping them to understand why there was a 1 placed before the number. The names were most difficult though. It just took lots of repitition. We counted all the time, especially while we were driving. Like with anything, if they got frustrated, we stopped and tried again later. This will just take time; any opportunity you get to practice those numbers, do so. You say them, and have her count with you or repeat you. Write the number down and show her what you have written when you are talking about a number of something. Look for fun books at the library that will also help with this. The more you just incorporate it into your daily life and make it fun, the quicker it will come and more easily it will come (because they will be less frustrated about having to sit for lessons about something they are having difficulty with). Also, I found with my daughter that instead of just reciting the numbers or counting things, singing the numbers to a tune helped her remember the order. The tune, along with the numbers, got stuck in her head and it helped her memorize the names and the correct order.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)