Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Just joined, preparing to take the hs leap

Posted by on Sep. 30, 2011 at 10:19 AM
  • 8 Replies

Hello! 

I have 4 kids, aged 14, 12, 9 and 2.  We are becoming a homeschooling family one kid at a time.  My oldest as always, will be the guinnea pig LOL!  The traditional setting just isn't working anymore.  I feel some of the issues stem from the way the education system works now with the standardized testing becoming the focus and the pressures on teachers (God bless them) don't have a choice.  The learning process has definitely suffered.  Anyhow, other personal issues and hurdles have also come into play. My oldest has been diagnosed with ADD/ADHD and I have another that will be getting evaluated.  In the way schools work my children aren't being nurtured or encourage they are being chastized and stifled.  I despise that. I could rattle on and on, but I am feeling more and more confident the more I read and find about homeschooling.

by on Sep. 30, 2011 at 10:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Sep. 30, 2011 at 10:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Good luck - you'll do great. I have 2 kids (10 and 7) my oldest has a form of Autism (Aspergers/PDD/SPD) so I know how challenging and fun it can be to HS a special needs child. Just remember to have fun! I think the saddest thing about the school system today is that they have turned learning into a total chore. Learning is awesome, if I can instill this love of learning in my kids then I consider my job done!

Need a great Latin Curriculum for grades K-7? Check out LATIN FRUCTUS!

Home Educators Toolbox / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks

Albert Einstein --
"It is, in fact nothing short a miracle that modern methods of instruction have not yet entirely strangled the holy curiosity of inquiry; for this delicate little plant, aside from stimulation, stands mainly in need of freedom."
"Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid."

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 30, 2011 at 11:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Congrats on taking the plunge! I pulled my daughter out of school, also, but earlier on.

swim-mom72
by on Sep. 30, 2011 at 5:46 PM
1 mom liked this

CONGRATS to you and your family! It is a lot of work, but totally worth it.

We pulled our kids out of public school also, so I have been in your shoes. My youngest has OCD and some sensory processing issues, so I really understand how public school can snuff out their light. My 2 guys are 11 & 14, and they love being homeschooled.

Danielle163
by on Oct. 1, 2011 at 4:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to homeschooling!

romacox
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2011 at 5:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Good for you.  I think you will be very pleased.  Sounds like you have already done some research, but here are some links that might help.

oredeb
by on Oct. 2, 2011 at 5:32 PM
1 mom liked this

welcome! jump right in! so do you know your homeschool law? do you know what your using for homeschooling?

khalilian
by on Oct. 21, 2011 at 10:24 AM

good links thank you very much!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 21, 2011 at 12:38 PM

How is it going?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)