Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What is the one book/lab/craft you wouuld recommend EVERY HSer read/do?

Posted by on Oct. 1, 2011 at 8:51 PM
  • 6 Replies
by on Oct. 1, 2011 at 8:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mynameismuerte
by on Oct. 2, 2011 at 12:03 AM
Great question! This is our first "official" year so I'm curious to see people's answers. (So that is a long winded BUMP, lol.)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jen2150
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2011 at 9:24 AM

There are too many.  Elephant toothpaste, coke and menthos, dry ice experiments,  and so many others.  My favorite books are Way things work and the way we work. They are awesome books for kids especially boys.  I highly recommend studying Chemistry early on.  It has so many fun things to do. 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 2, 2011 at 9:40 AM

Wow! The elephant toothpaste is crazy fun looking!!

oredeb
by on Oct. 2, 2011 at 11:52 AM

i dont read many homeschool books any more but one that has always stood out to me is 'Pocket full of Pinecones' by karen andreola because its such a peaceful book, when everything is going every way just to sit and read it brings you peace.

another from long ago is the charlotte mason books, because, she says how to help your kids learn, how you can help them, and you can add these ways to any type of homeschooling you do

jen2150
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2011 at 2:58 PM

You do need 30% H2O2 to do it well.  I got the rest for the experiment from homeschool science website.  It was really neat.  You can literally feel the heat from the chemical reaction.  You will need to wear gloves. 

Quoting mem82:

Wow! The elephant toothpaste is crazy fun looking!!

katzmeow726
by on Oct. 2, 2011 at 6:02 PM

BUilding a bird house...and I'm not talking one of those out of the box cheap ones at Home Depot.

You start off by letting your child research what birds are local to your area, and what times of the year they nest and migrate.  From there, your student can pick 1 or two birds to build houses for. 
  They can then research what kind of housing these birds like, where to place the house in your yard, and what kind of feeder and bird seed to place near the bird house.  Believe me...bird feeders are a HECK of a lot more complicated than you would think.

Once they build a house(s) they can observe each day and record when a bird first makes teh bird house it's home.  THey can learn it's bird song, and make drawings. 

If the "chosen  bird" doesn't nest, they can research a little more to learn how to make the bird house more bird friendly. Or if another bird nests there, they can research what type of bird it is, and learn about that one.

Be sure to get lots of photographs!

It's ag reat project because it teaches them how to research, bird watch, and build.  It includes science, measurements, and nature, and really is a lot of fun! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)