Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Never thought I would home school. Now I have changed my mind. Advise

Posted by on Oct. 1, 2011 at 9:51 PM
  • 8 Replies

My daughter starts Kindergarten next fall. As a preschool teacher and studying for my degree in social science with an education concentration I have always encouraged some sort of school public or private. I always thought I wouldnt homeschool because I want my kids out of the house with other kids their ages. Then I heard about the class sizes in my area. Now I am seriously thinking about homeschool. Mainly one where the kids go to a public school but its done online so I know they are doing what they need to that is required. Now I am not sure where to start. I looked into some but they require the parents to be with the kids at least 5 hours every day to do school work. I work full time and so does my husband. Plus we have 3 other kids to tend to. I also want her in something more easily portable because my husband is transfering jobs from Denver to Tampa sometime within the next year. If its in a year she will have already started school. I also dont know much about the schools in Tampa either as when I was in school in Florida I lived up closer to Orlando and thats where my sisters go to school also. I am looking for any advise. I know I wont be getting support from my family but its what my husband and I have chosen to do.

by on Oct. 1, 2011 at 9:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
sew4fun
by on Oct. 1, 2011 at 11:58 PM

The only ones I know of are texas connections and K12 good luck

sew4fun
by on Oct. 1, 2011 at 11:59 PM

Oh also I know Fl has one and that Fl and Tx recognize each others states virtual schools. Or at least that was the case a few years ago when i was looking into it

jen2150
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2011 at 9:19 AM

Welcome to homeschooling.  Homeschooling doesn't mean the kids stay home all the time.  There are online schools but most young kids do better when you tailer things to their interests and talents.  I would join some local homeschooling groups on yahoo.  Local groups and co-ops can be really helpful.  I wouldn't worry about following the public school program.  I followed it during school and it was a very poor education.  I had a lot of gaping holes.  My son had in 3rd grade more chemistry than I had in k-12.  He is in 4th grade this year and we are studying physics.  Chemistry and physics was all his idea.  Homeschooling is so much fun.  Have a great week.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 2, 2011 at 9:38 AM

I would suggest looking up homeschool regulations for your state. Kindergarten is such a fun year curriculum wise that maybe finding one outside of an online school would be easier for you. 8)

I believe K12 online school is nationwide.

HustlinMomma
by on Oct. 2, 2011 at 11:58 AM

I use K12 for my kindergartener and 1st grader. So far so good. Most states have the program. Not all have it for kindergarten. Some start at a certain grade. Like Texas has k12 starting at 3rd grade. So If i moved to texas I would just buy the curriculum from k12 for my kids. Just go to K12.com. The number is on the website as well. Hope this helps. 

romacox
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2011 at 4:57 PM

Each State is different.  So it is important to check with your State Home School Association where you will receive help and information with State laws, support groups, workshops, conventions and more.

Florida:

• Moderately friendly to home educators
  • State Association is Florida Parent Educators Association (they are awesome)
  • Class sizes are quite large.  They recently laid off several teachers, and increased class sizes.  :Lawmakers seem to believe class sizes has no baring.

Colorado

Here are some articles that will also be helpful to you

Thinking About Home Schooling? Teachers Are

How To Home School

I was very skeptical about Home Education, until I became involved, and discovered children in the home school venue out perform the public school children..  I think you will be very pleased to find out how much more is available to your children when home schooled.

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2011 at 5:53 PM

So glad that you decided to home educate. :)   I have been at it 19 yrs so far and still love it. Have graduated all but one of my younguns :)

oahoah
by Member on Oct. 3, 2011 at 12:46 AM

With limited hours and multiple children I think your best bet may be to build your own curriculum. It will require some research on your part as to what will be required for kindergarten, etc; I've seen great book suggestions on here and I also use Amazon all the time to get in-depth book details and then request from my local library.  Will you have a plan in place for when you will have time for school with your work schedules? Our state requires 4 hours per day but I don't work outside the home so we are able to split it up throughout the day.  Check into the laws where you will be moving to and this will help you plan ahead and be prepared. Congrats & good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)