Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How many unschoolers do we have on here???

Posted by   + Show Post

are you an unschooler? full time ? part time?

are you a radical unschooler?

what makes you an unschooler?

Unschooling

a home-school education with the child taking the primary responsibility instead of a parent or teacher;

by on Oct. 3, 2011 at 6:42 PM
Replies (21-27):
usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 7, 2011 at 9:59 PM

You are more then welcome to ask any questions you might have!

Quoting nzumbrun:

This is the first time I have heard of unschooling. It's an interesting idea. Something I want to learn more about.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Oct. 8, 2011 at 10:38 AM
Lol!

Quoting DelightfullyMad:

Whole life unschooler here! *peeks out of unschooling closet*

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobiemunchkin
by on Dec. 22, 2011 at 2:00 AM

I unschool to! my 7 year old and 2 year old.

We go weeks without doing anything. We learn when they want to learn, do what there into doing. No pressure no rules. Love and more love. they learn everyday though!

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Dec. 22, 2011 at 8:19 AM

i think we'll be using some structure and help from an umbrella group (meaning a class here and there for certain subject or area)...but at times we "teach on the go" when he starts asking  questions...but would not call the main plan unschooling...so more the "traditional" if that is the right word...homeschooling

by on Dec. 22, 2011 at 8:51 AM
I have not decided whether my kids will be unschooled or not, but my mother has transitioned from more rigid schooling to radical unschooling. My youngest sister has lived with the radical unschooling for all of her school years.

She learns reading and writing and the basic math out of necessity. She wasn't happy that all her older sibs could read when she couldn't so she taught herself asking questions when necessary. You need to know basic math to handle money so thats an area that teaches those things. Also your interests can lead you to more structured learning, if you want to expand your writing skills the unschooled parent will guide you and help you. It's not that these things aren't taught it's that you wait for the child to show interest and dont push them to learn anything specific or in specific ways.

Quoting jhg374:

Thank you to all of you who "unschool" for being willing to share with us what that looks like.

I do have a question for any of you who would be willing to answer and I say this with absolutely NO judgement or finger pointing, I ask only for my own curiosity, so please do not take this wrong;

Do you teach math and language?  If not, in what way do they learn the basics such as addition, subtraction (even carrying and borrowing), multiplication, etc. etc.

Also on the same line, how do you teach Language, how to spell properly, capitalization rules, punctuation rules, grammer rules, how to write sentences properly... even papers, etc.

Again, I mean absolutely nothing personal to anyone, I am just really curious.

Thank you so much for your patience and your answers!

Hollie

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ZsMommy
by on Dec. 22, 2011 at 9:01 AM

This is a question fir the "radicals"-non judgemental-just curious.

If no rules are in place-how does this translate later into adulthood where in the workforce there are a kajillion rules,protocol to follow?

I can see where inspiring creativity and a personal spark for knowledge vs confining to a textbook curriculum may work,I just don't comprehend the "no rules" such as bed time chores,etc help benefit a child who will one day become an adult,and enter the work force. Do they simply become an entenprenaur so they can make their own rules-which may work for some but doesn't always bring a steady paycheck for others.

As I mentioned-this is truly just a curious question. Thanks for your time and viewpoints.

Motherkubehl
by on Dec. 22, 2011 at 9:05 AM
We tried radical unschooling, but it was a disaster.
My son is extremely advanced for his age, and requires structure.
He’s 3, and if I leave him to make his own decision we would have a room full of work sheets lol.
He loves to write, add, and ask me about fractions.
As he gets older we will try an un-schooling approach, but until then, structured it is.
I’d love to go totally unstructured, but with no support system, it’s hard.
We were in the grocery store, and my hubby wasn’t thinking, and said I want those one’s over there, and my son walked up to him and said “Daddy, It’s them, not those one’s weren’t you taught to speak correctly?” The lady behind us stopped what she was doing, and the look on her face was priceless.
My hubby said he was proud of him, and proceeded to say how pathetic it is when a child has better grammar than an adult.
If anyone wants to add me to fb feel free.
http://www.facebook.com/mommywifesisterfriend
I’m always looking for other mom’s to bounce ideas off.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)