Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschooling a defiant child. help!

Posted by   + Show Post
I have two kids. One is in 2nd grade and one in 3rd. My third grader is great about getting her work done. My second grader on the other hand is not! We go through at least one temper tantrum a day just because she doesnt want to work. She will literally throw her work and her books on the ground and just start having a hissy fit. I have had many ways of dealing with it but my most recent way is to ignore it. I tell her to go into living room so me and her sister can work and just ignore all comments and attitude. After about 45 min she will usually just come back over and start working. Oh and i take away her electronics for the day. It is so frusterating because our day lasts soooooooooo much longer than it should and I am irritated with her the rest of the school day. Any advice would be awesome!! Thanks!!! ~ Crystal ~
by on Oct. 4, 2011 at 8:05 AM
Replies (11-16):
cbixby
by on Oct. 7, 2011 at 9:20 AM
Thanks so much for the workbox info!! I am going to try it. Going to the store today to get some supplies and start it next week.
misselphaba
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2011 at 9:39 AM

Does she just hate the way you're giving her the work?  Too many worksheets?  Does it not go along with her learning style?

mom2queenie2004
by on Oct. 7, 2011 at 10:50 AM

I think you are doing great. Let it happen, don't feed into it and make sure the work gets done after.

The only thing I would suggest is to see if you can see a trigger, or notice if it always happens when she has worked for 45 minutes or if it is during a certain subject. If you can spot the trigger, you may be able to avoid it all together. If the trigger is time, then give her a break before that time frame. If it happens to be a suject make it the first, or last subject of the day, and maybe help her out with it on a more one-on-one basis.

romacox
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2011 at 4:50 PM

We all tend to teach in our own learning style.  That always works as long as the child learns like we do.  When trouble arises, is when our personalities are different from out child's.

Here are some YouTube videos that explain the different personalities, with links to help you teach them in the manner they learn best.

. Different Learning Styles

AbundanceMagnet
by on Oct. 12, 2011 at 7:42 PM
My 9 year old is on the Autism spectrum and everyday he is crying and upset and dramatic before we even begin. It's soooo frutrating. I feel like I'm always On him and getting no where. I've tried just about everything but hes just defiant on anything he doesnt want to do. I've learned my best way is to just stick it out even if it's not going well because he tries to push me until I give up, I just refuse anymore. prob why I'm so stressed out but we manage. Lol. Glad to see you are seeking some professional help and hopefully that will help!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)