Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Is Homeschooling Your Life?

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2011 at 7:24 PM
  • 19 Replies
1 mom liked this

Do you spend all your time thinking about homeschooling, making lesson plans, finding resources, looking things up, getting ideas, teaching, reading, etc?

Or do you have your own hobbies you pursue?

Do you work part-time, take some sort of classes, volunteer your time?

Do you think it's better for you to do some things for yourself, or to immerse yourself in the homeschooling?

Visit my homeschool blog....HavenWood HomeSchool

by on Oct. 5, 2011 at 7:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hailnbray
by on Oct. 5, 2011 at 7:41 PM

homeschooling is not my life. i know learning is important but we fit it into life. we dont do school at the same time. i dont look up lesson plans all day long. we are on the fly kind of people.

oredeb
by on Oct. 5, 2011 at 8:23 PM
1 mom liked this

homeschooling has always been a way of life for us since we are always learning!  but its only part of our life!

i dont spend all my time thinking homeschooling anymore, i do have hobbies, things i need to do daily, i do teach co-op classes, and yes i think its good that we  have things we do for ourselves and others.

no matter what i do i always bring it back to homeschooling, would the kids like to do this, oh this would make a good unit study, etc!!hahahahah

and i love researching, writing lesson plans, making unit studies, teaching...........................

maybe i do spend all my time thinking homeschooling!!!!!hahahahahaha

MommaTasha1003
by on Oct. 5, 2011 at 9:18 PM

Right now we are "on break" (PreK so not a biggie) because Im 9wks pregnant & not feeling good..

But when we where doing school, yes, it did feel like almost my every thought was filled with HS.. and that is 1 reason we are still debating if HS is right for us... I do not want to be consumed by homeschooling.

DelightfullyMad
by on Oct. 5, 2011 at 9:38 PM
2 moms liked this

Unschooling is.

I have my own hobbies, so do the kids. That's the beauty of it. We all do our own things and we do things together too. Depends on hwat the mood is. I immerse myself in life. That's the whole point of unschooling - not separating learning from life, passions, hobbies, people, places.

I do stop what I'm doing to go do something with the girls if they want me to, and I'm happy to. Those days aren't infinite. I will soak them up while I can :)

jen2150
by Silver Member on Oct. 6, 2011 at 8:24 AM

yes and no.  It is a a big part.  I probably spend more time on homeschooling than I need to but I really enjoy it.  My 4th grader wants to learn physics this year so I am doing a ton of reading on the subject.  I am really getting into it.  I am reading books on physics, Michael Faraday, Einstein, Robert boyl, Nikola Tesla, Issac Newton, and Ben Franklin.  I am really enjoying it.  I volunteer all the time to teach at our co-op.  I really love teaching.  I also raise chickens, guineas, and peafowl.  I love raising  our animals.  I have always been a big animal lover. 

amy_dawn
by on Oct. 6, 2011 at 9:05 AM

Technically, it is...but not in the same sense that most would think. While I do spend a good portion of my day teaching and planning specific lessons and activities or doing other things related to homeschooling, it is not what I do all the time. However, we learn constantly. I can always find something to teach the kids about. I may simply mention something that barely brushes the surface, or I may decide to go all ot on the subject and turn it into a more in-depth lesson.

I am taking one undergraduate level course right now (Genetics...it never fit into my schedule while I was in undergraduate, and so never actually took the course despite graduating with a BS in Biology [and in Chemistry], and interestingly enough, I worked in research which was dealing specifically with genetics after college--but working in something as a Research Assistant and taking a basic course in one of the subjects that your work deals with are two different things, so my course is a lot of work). I plan to eventually go to Veterinary School. In the meantime, I need to take more classes, bring up my science GPA, and make sure I stay current on any prerequisites that colleges may require. However, when I decided to homeschool (and have another baby soon....Sssshhhhh and crossed fingers please, LOL), we decided my husband would begin working towards applying for graduate school, and that I wouldn't pursue Vet School again until after he is done with his Masters. I also want to work part time, likely as a Veterinary Assistant. But I have to make that fit into my schedule, so we'll see.

I have other hobbies that I don't get to pursue, because I just haven't found the time to schedule them in. I will get to that, but I have other things that are more imperative that come first (like cleaning, organizing, homeschool stuff, my class, etc..). I am the Newsletter Editor for my son's Cub Scouts Pack, and I find myself often doing other leadership activities. The Cub Scouts meetings, outings, and activities themselves take a lot of time. But I get to include the whole family, which means extra learning activities for my daughter (on Columbus Day, we are touring the Capital Buidling in Washington D.C., among other things) I am a news junkie, interested in politics, and try to stay up on military matters. I want to start a blog, but haven't gotten to that yet. It will come. I want to spend more time reading scientific journal articles, and would love to attend conferences to help me stay up on current trends in research. I would also love to start spending time doing some volunteer work, though I haven't decided where I would most like to do said work.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2011 at 11:56 AM
1 mom liked this

I spend a ton of time on homeschool. BUT it's just a way of life for us so it isn't interrupting anything. It's just how the household runs now. 

Gumberly
by on Oct. 6, 2011 at 3:48 PM
This!
Quoting mem82:

I spend a ton of time on homeschool. BUT it's just a way of life for us so it isn't interrupting anything. It's just how the household runs now. 

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2011 at 5:21 PM

When we first started homeschooling I maybe spent more of my own time doing research and finding my own groove.  As each year has passed I have found finding resources easier, understanding what curriculum works and what doesn't is easier to identify and I save time by pre-planning the entire years monthly goal in each subject so I don't go into each month not knowing what we're doing and feeling overwhelmed.  In essence homeschooling seems easier the longer ones in it.

I have personal interest, books I love to read, programming I love to do, and whatever game I'm into at that time, so I don't really want to spend 24/7 doing nothing but homeschooling.  The children also have personal interest and friends so once we're done with school then we're done.  Now sometimes if we're doing something or going somewhere that can be educational I will make it into an educational experience that's engaging and the children love it. 

sew4fun
by on Oct. 7, 2011 at 12:38 AM

I think it is a huge part of my life and I think about it often but I do other things too. I sew, make bows,make soap,and a TON of other things.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)