Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Is Homeschooling Your Life?

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you spend all your time thinking about homeschooling, making lesson plans, finding resources, looking things up, getting ideas, teaching, reading, etc?

Or do you have your own hobbies you pursue?

Do you work part-time, take some sort of classes, volunteer your time?

Do you think it's better for you to do some things for yourself, or to immerse yourself in the homeschooling?

Visit my homeschool blog....HavenWood HomeSchool

by on Oct. 5, 2011 at 7:24 PM
Replies (11-19):
misselphaba
by on Oct. 7, 2011 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Do you spend all your time thinking about homeschooling, making lesson plans, finding resources, looking things up, getting ideas, teaching, reading, etc?  ~  No.  I did in the beginning and before we started homeschooling and then again when we quit homeschooling and started unschooling. 

Or do you have your own hobbies you pursue?  ~  Yes.  I like to read and I sew.

Do you work part-time, take some sort of classes, volunteer your time?  ~  I baby-sit my niece and two nephews during the week.  I don't take any classes and I volunteer at my kids' Options program.

Do you think it's better for you to do some things for yourself, or to immerse yourself in the homeschooling?  ~  Yes, of course it's best to do some things for you.  Otherwise, you might get burned out with homeschooling.

We don't do "school at home", though.  We just *are*.  We do what we want to do, we learn what they want to learn.  It all just fits perfectly like puzzle pieces. 

HavenWoodHome
by on Oct. 7, 2011 at 12:30 PM

We don't do school at home either. We explore different things, but we follow my sons interests. We are quasi-unschoolers.

usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 7, 2011 at 1:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Do you spend all your time thinking about homeschooling, making lesson plans, finding resources, looking things up, getting ideas, teaching, reading, etc? I don't spend all my time doing all that but I do research things that I think might interest my kids & that intrest me.

Or do you have your own hobbies you pursue? I read, play video games, watch movies, & listen to music that I enjoy among other things.

Do you work part-time, take some sort of classes, volunteer your time? I do not have a job that pays but I think of my place as wife & Mom as my job. I don't take classes mostly because anything I want to know I will research & pursue all on my own to learn it. I would love to volunteer but my kids are with me all day so I would need something that would allow a 8y/o & a 6y/o & I just haven't found that locally yet.

Do you think it's better for you to do some things for yourself, or to immerse yourself in the homeschooling? Well we unschool so it is in everything that we do, even the most mundane thing is educational for use. For us it is life & living is learning there is no separation.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Oct. 8, 2011 at 10:39 AM
While we were first beginning it was. Now that we have started I've calmed down until we start planning for next year
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amy_dawn
by on Oct. 8, 2011 at 2:57 PM
2 moms liked this

I guess there was one question I forgot to answer: I think seeing mom have her own interests and hobbies helps lead children to having their own interests and hobbies. Additionally, I think seeing mom doing things to further her own education or learning (like taking classes or doing something informally) may helps the kids appreciate more that learning is a lifelong process and that it is important. It also helps encourage them to set goals and get there when they see their parents setting goals and acheiving them. Some women are satisfied making housework and homeschooling their entire lives, while others need something additional (I'm one of the latter). Doing something to truly help improve yourself, which working on hobbies or other activities does, helps you grow as a person. As is likely obvious to everyone, my life philosohy can probably (maybe) be summed as "Never stop learning, never stop questioning, never stop growing."

EaiB
by on Oct. 8, 2011 at 7:11 PM

It's something I carry around in the back of my mind a lot. Like "OOOO look at that, that would be great for ___ to learn ___!" or "We have to bring ____ to see ____, it will be great for them to experience ____." And that's probably something I will do even once they move into public education. It's your life b/c your kids are your life. But there's room for me, and my hobbies. I often stay up very late completing things (working on re-editing my novel right now, and doing some cartooning) but I probably won't do that once the kids are a bit older and can work on their own projects alongside me...

JoyfulMommyof2
by on Oct. 8, 2011 at 9:06 PM

Homeschooling is more than just schooling, it is a way of life--a chosen lifestyle.  A lifestyle we all love!  "If we're living, we're learning!"  It's that simple. 

Yes, there needs to be time spent doing lesson plans and research and "official" teaching, but that part should not be "all-consuming."  Don't make it harder than it needs to be.  Figure out how your children learn best (learning style) and go from there.  Once you find what works, stick with it.  And don't try to reinvent the wheel.  There are unit studies and curriculums and homeschool helps in abundance out there.  Use them!  You don't have to use them exactly as presented.  Make them your own, adapt them to you and your children. 

So, yes, I would say that homeschooling is our life.  But, that doesn't always include books and lesson plans and stress.  We love to go walking and bike-riding at the park.  We end up talking about the animals, the trees, the clouds, Creation, health.  These conversations are casual and enjoyable; they come up naturally; but they are still learning experiences.  On vacations we go to the beach or the mountains.  We talk about the rock formations, variety of rocks, variety of plants, erosion, ocean animals, seaweed, etc.  Again, these things come up naturally as enjoyable conversation.  Even Disney World presents natural learning opportunities meeting people from around the world, hearing different languages, sampling different ethnic foods.  Meaningful, learning conversation presents itself all the time and it comes naturally to us.  Why?  Because as a family, talking and learning and enjoying conversation is just what we do--our lifestyle.  Take the time to notice the difference in the way non-homeschooling families relate.  They don't seem to really talk (real conversation).  Public school children (my opinion) aren't taught to think and ask questions.  They just go through the motions of learning.  They don't have as much opportunity to bond with their parents (they bond with their peers) and see their parents as teachers and interesting people (instead of "the enemy").  Their lifestyle is completely different.  We get to be with our children all of the time.  We get to challenge their minds, teach them to think, encourage questions, and really talk with them (not at them) about everything from science and history to developing good health and Godly character in a non-threatening envioronment.  We have the opportunity to be their confidant, to really influence who they become, and to be that person who they know is always available to them.  What an advantage for them and a privilege for us!

Do we ever do things separately.  Sure.  Of course, my husband goes out to work each day.  We exercise together as a family several times a week (bike riding, walking/jogging, swimming, playing Wii, etc.), but he also trains for triathlons in his own, personal time.  My children have play time outside on their own playing on the swingset or in the treehouse, or with the animals.  They also sometimes read in their rooms or draw.  I do craft projects and building projects with my children, but I also scrapbook occassionally for myself.  I love to garden, sometimes with my children and sometimes by myself.  Sometimes the kiddos spend time with Dad, and I go shopping or enjoy a Mom's Night Out with other moms in our homeschooling group.  Our homeschooling group also has Skate Day, Bowling Day, Park Days, etc.  This gives the children time to have fun with their friends, and the moms have "girl time" together.  We even have the occasional "date" while the children spend time with their grandparents.  We also have time with our children individually.  My husband and son have camping/hunting/fishing weekends.  He also teaches my son to use the lawn mower and fix things around the house and build things.  It's hobby time and teaching time rolled into one.  My daughter and I sometimes spend the day shopping and having lunch and getting a pedicure.  I also teach her to cook and bake and do laundry.  I do spend most of my time with my children, but it's not a burden--it's a privilege.  I have learned to relax and enjoy this season of my life without any regrets! 

I think our lives are very balanced.  I think we all get the private time we may need and the time to spend with others, but we get to spend lots of time together as a family, a family who is always learning, growing, talking, bonding and having fun together.  This is a wonderful season of my life.  But it's just that, a season.  I know I'll have all the scrapbooking/shopping/personal reading/visiting/hobby time I could ever want in the next season when my children are grown, but I will truly miss this one.  I don't want to waste it thinking about what I may not be getting or what I may be missing out on.  Each season of life presents its challenges and rewards.  We just have to make sure to make the most of each one, because we cannot get it back again once it has passed.  There are no "do overs."  I'm glad the Lord has given me this insight.

Again, yes, homeschooling is our life but in a good way!  We're living and learning to the fullest.  We are truly blessed!     

JoyfulMommyof2

busy mom

alexsmomaubrys2
by on Oct. 10, 2011 at 8:11 AM
1 mom liked this

I believe that home-schooling is a way of life and not something that is done between certain hours of the day.

That being said, I have my own life too. I am starting to learn to sew, then I want to learn to knit. LOL!

I think that it is important to find time for myself as an individual, no matter what.

Join me in Moms for Education
Moms for Education

"Oppression of spirit is not on
the public school curriculum. Rather, it's a noxious by-product produced
while stewing schooling in a pot w/ unions, administrators,
multi-billion dollar budgets, state education departments, and school
boards, then letting politicians control the heat." Linda Dobson

"When you want to teach
children to think, you begin by treating them seriously when they are
little, giving them responsibilities, talking to them candidly,
providing privacy and solitude for them, and making them readers and
thinkers of significant thoughts from the beginning. That's *if* you
want to teach them to think." ~ Bertrand Russell

AbundanceMagnet
by on Oct. 12, 2011 at 7:29 PM
I wish I could say it was my entire life. Find myself envying those families....but for me I work full time and then some, keep up my house, animals, life stuff, and I'm so tired so we just throw it together and cram in book work all different hours of the day. I feel very sad that I can't live and breathe it... ;(.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN