Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

city just adopted a day time curfew for kids and teens.

Posted by on Oct. 6, 2011 at 10:29 AM
  • 21 Replies

I know it really won't hit us too hard, but the idea of a city wide curfew during the school day is a little creepy for me.  It's like one step towards a police state.  I know it will cut down on truancy, but still.  Maybe I'm just being silly.
   It comes in addition to a night curfew.  Anyone 18 and under has to leave downtown at 10pm, save for special occasions.  And there is a city wide curfew for all 18 and under kids.  11pm on school nights, 12am on weekends.  Now, I do agree that the 17 and under crowd needs to be in late at night, but I don't think the city should control it.
  Fortunately the day curfew specifically exempts home educated children.  Still, it's just a little creepy to me.  It's a trial thing, so they will look at it next year to decide if they want to keep it or not.
   They also don't have a holding center yet for curfew breakers.  For now, they're just going to ship them to juvie hall, which is already over crowded.

I'm just glad it excludes homeschoolers, that makes me feel much better.

by on Oct. 6, 2011 at 10:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Columbus has a stringent night time curfew that really cut down on crime. I went to high school in a suburb that had a daytime curfew and the police would pick you up and take you back to school if you couldn't prove you were done for the day.

larissalarie
by on Oct. 6, 2011 at 12:13 PM
Eh, I always have my kids with me, so I don't care one way or the other about curfews...
I can see both sides. On the one hand they're your kid, so you should be able to do as you wish; on the other there are soooo many uninvolved parents out there...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katzmeow726
by on Oct. 6, 2011 at 3:32 PM
Oh I agree it will cut down on crime, it just feels a bit weird I guess. I know, I am being silly lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blackraven935
by on Oct. 6, 2011 at 3:55 PM

I would totally flip out, but I look like I am 18 or younger. I could totally walk through a highschool and nobody would think twice of me being to old an having 3 kids. Once after I graduated highschool, I was shopping and had a woman ask me why I wasnt in school like the other kids. And last year (a health insurance) guy handed a smoker his card for fun and was tellin his wife, and since I was right there he made a comment about me not being old enough to smoke, knowing i had heard him. I dont smoke, but I told him I indeed was old enough and I was even old enough to drink if I so desired allthough i dont. So I would be flippin out and carryin my ID for sure.

mynameismuerte
by on Oct. 6, 2011 at 4:14 PM

I was in middle school when the city (of Houston) enacted a curfew for minors, so probably early early 90's.

DelightfullyMad
by on Oct. 7, 2011 at 2:43 AM

That's madness!

I've never even heard talk about imposing a curfew in my home city, and it's the biggest city in the country. Definitely no talk or thought of imposing a curfew in my current little town. I've actually never heard of a curfew for anyone besides those on criminal probation.

How can they do that? Children aren't criminals and the government can't remove freedoms from them, can they?

katzmeow726
by on Oct. 7, 2011 at 8:37 PM
Apparently so. It just doesn't sit well with me

Quoting DelightfullyMad:

That's madness!

I've never even heard talk about imposing a curfew in my home city, and it's the biggest city in the country. Definitely no talk or thought of imposing a curfew in my current little town. I've actually never heard of a curfew for anyone besides those on criminal probation.

How can they do that? Children aren't criminals and the government can't remove freedoms from them, can they?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 7, 2011 at 8:45 PM

I worry about them doing that here where I am just because it is such a big school town ( I live outside of Lubbock, Tx. & there are alot  of collages as well as all the public 7 privet schools that are here)

raven1114
by on Jan. 5, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Um 18 is an adult. Why are they giving 18 year old adults a curfew?

Homeschoolmom99
by on Jan. 5, 2012 at 1:25 AM
Just to be safe we have homeschool co-op id cards since we are hs and get strange looks

Quoting raven1114:

Um 18 is an adult. Why are they giving 18 year old adults a curfew?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)