Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

city just adopted a day time curfew for kids and teens.

Posted by   + Show Post

I know it really won't hit us too hard, but the idea of a city wide curfew during the school day is a little creepy for me.  It's like one step towards a police state.  I know it will cut down on truancy, but still.  Maybe I'm just being silly.
   It comes in addition to a night curfew.  Anyone 18 and under has to leave downtown at 10pm, save for special occasions.  And there is a city wide curfew for all 18 and under kids.  11pm on school nights, 12am on weekends.  Now, I do agree that the 17 and under crowd needs to be in late at night, but I don't think the city should control it.
  Fortunately the day curfew specifically exempts home educated children.  Still, it's just a little creepy to me.  It's a trial thing, so they will look at it next year to decide if they want to keep it or not.
   They also don't have a holding center yet for curfew breakers.  For now, they're just going to ship them to juvie hall, which is already over crowded.

I'm just glad it excludes homeschoolers, that makes me feel much better.

by on Oct. 6, 2011 at 10:29 AM
Replies (21-21):
noraa21
by Member on Jan. 5, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Quoting FemaleRacer:

We in Oregon don't have a law like that that I know of.  I do get asked why my kids aren't in school though sometimes.  This is funny to be since one of the kids they're referring to is our 4 year old...

I had one guy ask my daughter (with me standing there) "Young lady, why aren't you in school today?"  I thought rude!  What he didn't realise was that my DD is home schooled due to her aspergers.  She then bluntly asked him why he was overweight. 

I live in Oregon and my DS has aspergers too.  We had someone ask him in the grocery line why he wasn't in school, he says I am homeschooled and she said something else, and he says I'm sorry I am not allowed to talk to strangers and you are one strange person.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN