Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What do you use or do for an older child that hates to write stories, sentences, etc.?

Posted by on Oct. 6, 2011 at 10:30 AM
  • 5 Replies

what about the older child that doesnt like to write , sentences, essays, stories, etc?

what would you do?

what would you use?

by on Oct. 6, 2011 at 10:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2011 at 11:51 AM

That's tough. How old?

Sometimes they just have to do it, I guess.

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2011 at 1:39 PM
My daughter hates to write. She is 10 and I'm not sure what to do. She is learning how to type this year, so maybe that will help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Andrea_D710
by on Oct. 6, 2011 at 1:53 PM

perhaps putting the writing into a different format, if they like to draw, have them create a comic book. or let them try telling stories, or grab a camcorder and have them create a movie, or interview type talk show with you, their friends, relatives.

My oldest is 7 and writing is sometimes like pulling teeth. But try to determine what it is they need to accomplish, and then find an alternate way to accomplish it.

swim-mom72
by on Oct. 6, 2011 at 2:42 PM

I think it depends on if it has to do with them really not "liking" to write or if they are frustrated because they really do not understand how to put a writting assignment together.

My oldest son for instance, is very bright. He has had a grasp on the mechanice of writting and grammar for quite a while. And he can write a really well done research paper, because it is factual. Now, ask him to write a creative essay or an opinion paper and he is lost. Yes, he can do it, but he gets very frustrated and hands in average, "get'er done" type of work. So, because I know he understands the writting process and have examples of his ability to do the work, I do not require a ton of writting from him.

Here is what some of his assignments will be this year for 9th grade: 3 research papers, 5 or 6 quick investigation assignments(digging deeper into a history topic), writting a few short stories using his weekly vocab words, and journal writting once a week. Some additional things he does as part of our daily school is take notes on every history and science assignment. I feel that learning good note taking skills is very important.

Knightquester
by on Oct. 6, 2011 at 6:22 PM

My son is six and hates to write.  So when there is a paper that he's required to write I will usually sit down and help him brainstorm out idea's using the bubble method.  Once he's thought up everything he wants to write about I help him organize it by usually color coating the bubbles giving each paragraph of his a different color.  I offer this help to him, but only if he sits down and writes his paper afterwards, otherwise I point out he's on his own coming up how to set up his paper.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN