Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I feel like we should be doing more 'hands on' stuff...

Posted by on Oct. 6, 2011 at 9:32 PM
  • 12 Replies

We usually have 2 or 3 hands on activities a week that we do. Plus a science experiment every Friday. I just feel like it's a lot of book work and not enough exploring. Is that a normal amount? Should I be doing more?

This is our first year and I know no one in real like that homeschools so I'm pretty much flying blind here. Also, if I need to be doing more are there some websites that have activities?

Thanks!

by on Oct. 6, 2011 at 9:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HavenWoodHome
by on Oct. 6, 2011 at 9:38 PM

I'd say ask your kids. Get their input. How old are they?

Visit my homeschool blog....HavenWood HomeSchool

MonkeyPeanut79
by Member on Oct. 6, 2011 at 9:40 PM

He's almost 6. That's a good idea. I didn't even think about his input.... That sounds really bad lol. 

sew4fun
by on Oct. 7, 2011 at 12:34 AM

I have no idea if you are doing enough hands on or not . But I just discovered lapbooking and I love love love it ! My girls (5 and 2 ) both love it and I have heard and seen of lap booking working all the way up to high school. Google lapbooking and it will come up with a ton of stuff. Youtube has some GREAT things too . lapbooklessions.com is great,homeschool share is awesome as well . feel free to pm me if you like and I will see what else I can come up with .

HavenWoodHome
by on Oct. 7, 2011 at 6:50 AM

When I first started out I didn't ask my son for his input, but I wish I had. It's his education, afterall. Now I ask him all the time. He's 12 now. We have become very child-led, interest-directed, and it's awesome. What a difference it has made in him. I'm not a Radical Unschooler, but I call myself a Quasi-Unschooler.

Quoting MonkeyPeanut79:

He's almost 6. That's a good idea. I didn't even think about his input.... That sounds really bad lol. 

Visit my homeschool blog....HavenWood HomeSchool

oredeb
by on Oct. 7, 2011 at 10:16 AM

take some of the subjects and do them hands on, like math, using manipulatives, or cooking, do the work on a chalk or white board, or on a large piece of paper, (my kids loved this! newsprint ends from the newspaper place)

science you could do a bug hunt outside or on internet or in libarary, or do mural out of paper for the wall or a bug envirorment, take what hes learning in the book and do hands on with it

history, dress up like what your studying, do a play about it, field trip, build a city or fort or whatever your studying with paper mache or cutouts

reading- take turns reading, ask him to tell you another ending

handwriting- do air writing, do it in the sand, whip cream, with string, paint, marker

romacox
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Here is an article that explains the different methods used by home educators: How To Homeschool

Here is a link that gives a lot of free lesson plan ideas...most are "hands on" Educators Space

EaiB
by on Oct. 8, 2011 at 7:15 PM

If your child(ren) are/is happy, then it's fine. As long as some hands on is provided, it's still great. Different people will have access to different things and resources, so not everyone can do hands-on every single day.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2011 at 9:13 PM

Yes!!

Quoting EaiB:

If your child(ren) are/is happy, then it's fine. As long as some hands on is provided, it's still great. Different people will have access to different things and resources, so not everyone can do hands-on every single day.

wright1212
by on Oct. 9, 2011 at 9:50 PM

Hands on is the reason I wanted to homeschool. I try to make pretty much everything hands on. We do just a few paper things a week. My DD is 1st grade. We use lessonpathways.com as a guide, then I create my own from there. I try to find a youtube video on everything we learn. Here are a few recent examples, im trying to get them posted to my VLOG soon.

• Learning of brain we threw an egg then wrapped an egg and threw it.
  • Learning of body we traced lifesize out and she drew in major parts we studied.
  • Of Tongue we made a large one and wrote in the parts
  • of Spanish family words we drew out a family tree and from a word bank she filled in the right words
  • of Hearing she is blindfolded and guesses the sound
  • next week we are learning signs (like road and safety). Im making a Word doc of signs and she identifies. Then make some.
  • we did lapbook of wizard of oz then went to emerald city (WOZ on a mountain)
  • lapbook of ocean for trip to beach
  • We turn math into everything!

Mommy to Corbin (9-epilepsy,autism, add) Kayla (6) Collin (2), Wife to Ben-OT, and I love teaching- M.Ed Early Childhood. SAHM & Homeschooling. Come watch us at www.youtube.com/user/1212wright

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2011 at 9:53 PM

Those are some great, fresh ideas, wright1212!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)