Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Man I feel like I am not doing something right.

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2011 at 12:41 AM
  • 13 Replies

From most of the post that I have seen most kids my girls ages and even some that are younger are soooooo far ahead of my girls. My 5 yo does not know how to read, can not recognize her numbers or letters, does not write, and only knows basic shapes. My 2yo can count to 2 and will not count higher and knows some shapes and colors that is about it. Am I failing them ? What are some things I can do to get them more advanced?

by on Oct. 7, 2011 at 12:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 7, 2011 at 12:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Are they learning things everyday? Are they happy & loving what they learn? If the answer is YES then just keep doing what you are doing, they are so young they have time to learn reading & math. Don't compare your children to others because each child is on its own time line that is as unique as they are. 

Read to them & play games with them that use numbers & letters but always keep it fun. That is the key if it is fun they will learn it better & love it that much more then if they don't have fun with it. 

saadamarie
by on Oct. 7, 2011 at 1:05 AM
I have a 2 yearold who can count to ten and say his abc's. On that note I also have a 3 year old he knows his colors and a few shapes that's it. They are both on the same curriculum. I think you just keep on. Don't give up they will get it their own way.
larissalarie
by on Oct. 7, 2011 at 2:23 AM
1 mom liked this
Every kid is different. My oldest knew her ABCs, counted to ten (English & Spanish), colors, shapes, etc all by 18 months. Now my 2 year old is just getting the hang of counting to 10 and wants nothing to do with ABCs yet, he has known shapes & colors forever at least. My youngest is a baby and already he is "behind" his older brother & sister. They were crawling, pulling up, & talking by his age (7 months) and he's still content to roll and scoot everywhere end just finally started saying one word "mama" and only then when he's fussy. Point it's, every kid is different. If they are consistently learning, that's what matters :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sew4fun
by on Oct. 7, 2011 at 10:49 AM

Thanks ladies. I know every kid is different and learn at their own pace I just feel like I am not doing something rite with them LOL . I guess I am just so worried I will fail at homeschool again that I am really down on myself.

oredeb
by on Oct. 7, 2011 at 10:49 AM
1 mom liked this

your not failing sew!!!! all kids learn differently, my son didnt read till he was 8, thats when he took off on school, he was ready for it all. one of my dd wasnt ready for reading till 6 and thats when we started on sounds, every child is different, they all learn differently, please dont feel you have to catch up with other moms, doenst work, makes the kids hate school, and you'll start hating it! let your kids learn as they do, have fun with them, a pretty good book to read about that is 'better late than early by raymond and dorothy moore, fantastic book! http://www.excellenceineducation.com/better_late_than_early.php

2turtles
by on Oct. 8, 2011 at 10:40 AM

The beauty of homeshool is you can go at each child's pace.  Find what works best for her and then eventually it will just "click".  Keep it up everyday  My son did not start reading until he was in first grade. He wanted no part of it. He was in PS and nothing the teacher nor I did worked.  What got him motivated was seeing his younger cousin read a book and not just look at pictures. He wanted to be a part of that.  From there he started reading signs. He loved to read signs everywhere we went. This opened up a world for him where he was able to know where he was going, read the signs for stores, the labels on toy boxes.  I stopped worrying about what books he read and focused on what he could read in his surroundings.  That was in first grade, by second he was readng at a fourth grade level. Now in third he reads children's novels in one sitting. Sometimes I can't believe this was the little boy that was so far behind his peers in Kindergarten. 

Find what is interesting to her and she will WANT to learn to read it. She will learn from you. Good luck! :) 

nzumbrun
by on Oct. 8, 2011 at 11:06 AM
Just keep teaching they will learn. They are learning whether you see it or not!! Just keep going. My kids do that all the time. My oldest did not read until she was 8. It will happen. Just give it time.
Prayerlion
by New Member on Oct. 14, 2011 at 10:57 AM

I have five kids, ages 14 to 3 1/2. My oldest was reading by 5. The next two were reading by 6. My fourth child is 7 and still is struggling to read. My youngest is in the middle of everything, learing letters, colors and counting. I find that holding children and reading to them and talking to them about the pictures and the letters and the sounds helps when they are reluctant readers. Also, the 7 yr old, who doesn't seem to want to read, he can draw as well as my 14 year old. I have realized that he learns differently than any of my other children. so I am thinking of using my old Scrabble game to help him improve his comprehension of letters and sounds.

Give yourself time and learn how your kids learn. Homeschooling is all about them learning, not following someone else's plan for them. After 10 years, I have learned to relax and guide my children through their school work, instead of forcing them.

oredeb
by on Oct. 14, 2011 at 11:30 AM

yea prayerlion!!!

Quoting Prayerlion:

I have five kids, ages 14 to 3 1/2. My oldest was reading by 5. The next two were reading by 6. My fourth child is 7 and still is struggling to read. My youngest is in the middle of everything, learing letters, colors and counting. I find that holding children and reading to them and talking to them about the pictures and the letters and the sounds helps when they are reluctant readers. Also, the 7 yr old, who doesn't seem to want to read, he can draw as well as my 14 year old. I have realized that he learns differently than any of my other children. so I am thinking of using my old Scrabble game to help him improve his comprehension of letters and sounds.

Give yourself time and learn how your kids learn. Homeschooling is all about them learning, not following someone else's plan for them. After 10 years, I have learned to relax and guide my children through their school work, instead of forcing them.

HavenWoodHome
by on Oct. 14, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Usmom3 took the words right out of my mouth!

Quoting usmom3:

Are they learning things everyday? Are they happy & loving what they learn? If the answer is YES then just keep doing what you are doing, they are so young they have time to learn reading & math. Don't compare your children to others because each child is on its own time line that is as unique as they are. 

Read to them & play games with them that use numbers & letters but always keep it fun. That is the key if it is fun they will learn it better & love it that much more then if they don't have fun with it. 

Visit my homeschool blog....HavenWood HomeSchool

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN