Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Man I feel like I am not doing something right.

Posted by   + Show Post

From most of the post that I have seen most kids my girls ages and even some that are younger are soooooo far ahead of my girls. My 5 yo does not know how to read, can not recognize her numbers or letters, does not write, and only knows basic shapes. My 2yo can count to 2 and will not count higher and knows some shapes and colors that is about it. Am I failing them ? What are some things I can do to get them more advanced?

by on Oct. 7, 2011 at 12:41 AM
Replies (11-13):
Michelle914
by on Oct. 14, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Sounds like you are doing great!

I have trouble with how much I am doing but try to keep reminding myself that it's best to stay relaxed and keep it fun!

My daughter was interested in letters when I told her the first letter of her name.  Now she likes to write that letter and points it out when she sees it on signs or in books.  She also likes a set of alphabet refrigerator magnets we got for her.  She will find the letter she knows and she will sometimes ask what the other letters are.  She is learning more letters at a pace that is fun for her!

Best Wishes!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 14, 2011 at 12:35 PM

My son struggled with the same things and then went through a 'I won't learn it' phase. Now, he'll be 7 in January but is really doing good and learning everything at a fast rate. He'll be 'caught up' with his age group soon. Interestingly enough, he can recite tomes of knowledge on things that interest him. Most 10 year olds wouldn't be able to compete, so it's not like he's wasted his life thus far. lol

I think everyone has spots in their child's education where we feel that we could do better.

sew4fun
by on Oct. 14, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Thanks ladies

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN