Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Does anyone use the Delayed method of homeschooling??

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2011 at 10:59 AM
  • 15 Replies

hows it going for you?

what age did your child(ren)begin?

do you think it was easier for them than starting earlier?

Delayed Schooling Homeschool Method
this method is  that children should not be rushed into formal education and can benefit from delaying training until 8 yrs or longer. Their evidence suggests that the development that happens in the early years sets a better foundation for later learning.
by on Oct. 7, 2011 at 10:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2011 at 12:04 PM

I don't practice it, myself, but I don't think it's a bad idea.

oredeb
by on Oct. 7, 2011 at 12:15 PM

ive taught a couple kids its worked good with. they just werent ready any younger.

Quoting mem82:

I don't practice it, myself, but I don't think it's a bad idea.

usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 7, 2011 at 12:41 PM
1 mom liked this

If we didn't unschool I would have done this. I believe that kids need to be kids for far longer then they get to be kids now days. We spend more time of our lives as adults then as children yet society makes us feel the need to rush our children in to adulthood, I say be a kid as long as you can because once it is gone it is gone & we can't ever get it back.

coffeeyum
by on Oct. 7, 2011 at 10:51 PM
usmom3..i was just saying the same exact thing today to my li'l one and it's true. They are playing every single day, and I really didn't get this opportunity with others at that young age. I was more around adults but didn't realize the mascarade of being rushed. I still think it's good to give gifts all year too. I was always told not to get them until the week of the holidays. This is just a waste of real growth for children. Our year is empty and we need some good board games, not just this computer stuff. What a waste. I think that when they are also pushed to use computers in school adding to stresses that they surely could do without, is a bad wasteful form of energy. My daughter just pretends to type and learned much easier that way. she does really good at typing I must admit.
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Oct. 8, 2011 at 10:38 AM
Interesting, I haven't heard of it before. Juli was ready to learn sooooo early though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lynette
by Member on Oct. 8, 2011 at 10:44 AM

yes, I have with my oldest son because he just wasn't ready earlier, we tried but things didn't connect.  It was like pulling teeth before he was ready.  He is 9 now, he can read a little.  But we are moving forward now.  I have to tell you though it is really stressful, because you are often second guessing yourself.

Now my 2nd son(he's 5) seems to be more ready.  I haven't started reading lessons w/ him yet.  When we do I will better understand what approach he will need

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Interesting.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2011 at 1:09 PM

This is my son, too!

Quoting Lynette:

yes, I have with my oldest son because he just wasn't ready earlier, we tried but things didn't connect.  It was like pulling teeth before he was ready.  He is 9 now, he can read a little.  But we are moving forward now.  I have to tell you though it is really stressful, because you are often second guessing yourself.

Now my 2nd son(he's 5) seems to be more ready.  I haven't started reading lessons w/ him yet.  When we do I will better understand what approach he will need

romacox
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2011 at 4:37 PM

Many NT learning styles do not start reading at grade level until around third grade.  Einstein was an NT, and his teacher thought he was dumb.

My grandson Koty,  has never attended public school. His mother home schooled him from day one. She read to him regularly, and it was a fun time for them both. Once he learned his ABC's she tried using flash cards to teach him phonics, which is a very unnatural way for most young children to learn. It quickly became a chore for both of them. I reminded her of a game I to teach children to read. It changed everything.

Koty quickly learned his phonic sounds, and begged to play more often than his mother desired. He was able to read the early reader books. He even sounded out difficult words like Premium at local gas stations as they played games of reading words while traveling. However, he had no desire to pick up a book and read by himself. Having read the book "Better Late than Early" by Raymond & Dorothy Moore, his mother continued reading to him. At the age of eight, he picked up a book, and asked his mother to read it for him. Not having the time at that moment, she declined. Impatient to wait for her, he began reading the book himself, and had an insatiable reading appetite thereafter.

Within six months he was reading at a fifth grade level.I

I  highly recommend the Book, "Better Late than Early" because it explains how important it is to adjust to a child's natural tendencies rather than making him/ her fit into a square peg of our own design.

P.S. We use to have the best education in the world.  We did not try to cram spelling, reading, phonics and writing all into kindergarten.  We made sure the child knew the basics before proceeding.  Craming so much into such a short time is like telling the child you can ride the bike if you first learn to take it apart  and put it back together first.  
EaiB
by on Oct. 8, 2011 at 7:19 PM

I have a Waldorf curriculum, so it is slow-paced like what you mentioned. It has it's advantages and disadvantages.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN