Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone use the Delayed method of homeschooling??

Posted by   + Show Post

hows it going for you?

what age did your child(ren)begin?

do you think it was easier for them than starting earlier?

Delayed Schooling Homeschool Method
this method is  that children should not be rushed into formal education and can benefit from delaying training until 8 yrs or longer. Their evidence suggests that the development that happens in the early years sets a better foundation for later learning.
by on Oct. 7, 2011 at 10:59 AM
Replies (11-15):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2011 at 3:21 PM

It's hard to listen to the people that don't understand when we aren't on the same page with the local school. They don't say anything if my kid is ahead in a subject but boy do they latch on if he is behind in another. 8(

coffeeyum
by on Oct. 9, 2011 at 5:05 PM

There used to be a mavis beacon program for typing, and now I see that it's just a pay fee for use program.  I'm thinking that maevis beacon was a granted program kindof like when we type into a learning program at school on the internet.  Just password. (kwim)

Gumberly
by on Oct. 10, 2011 at 1:10 PM
I have relaxed my efforts a lot over the last year. Before my son was old enough I did not believe in preschool, I considered it glorified day care. Sadly when my oldest was pre-k age I caved to peer preasure and sent him to a private school for pre-k, the damage that was done was emmense. I have spent a lot of time just reassuring my DS that it's ok to try something even if it's not "right" or "perfect."
I won't make a similar mistake with my (almost) 4 year old twins. They want to do school like their big brother so we are doing very basic concepts that can be taught with fun hands on activities and under I do not push at all.
So in answer to the question I guess I do to some extent although waitin until 8 is a little too delayed for me personally.
.Cat.
by on Oct. 10, 2011 at 4:50 PM

I do, unless they want to start early. Even after 7 or 8 I'm not forceful about school and remain flexible in style, material, methods, but it does get a little more structured.

.Cat.
by on Oct. 10, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Don't you just love double standards?

Quoting mem82:

It's hard to listen to the people that don't understand when we aren't on the same page with the local school. They don't say anything if my kid is ahead in a subject but boy do they latch on if he is behind in another. 8(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)