Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Science experiments.

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2011 at 11:41 PM
  • 18 Replies

I have NO clue on science and would like to do things with my girls . I like to think that I am not the only one that has this issue LOL . Got any ideas to share ? My girls are 2 and 5. I am also going to look some things up and post them here as well in hopes the post will help others.

by on Oct. 7, 2011 at 11:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sew4fun
by on Oct. 7, 2011 at 11:44 PM

I found THIS site

Chemical Reaction Experiments – Baking Soda and Vinegar

The combination of baking soda and vinegar is the perfect experiment for the preschool classroom. It is a safe chemical combination that is very attention grabbing.

Lesson objective:
The children will understand that some things in our world work in a predictable way. They will learn that mixing baking soda and vinegar will always have the same result.

In these three experiments your children will observe the chemical reaction of baking soda and vinegar and predict an outcome.

Play and Experiment – The Introduction
Blow it Up
Bake It

sew4fun
by on Oct. 7, 2011 at 11:45 PM

THIS site looks pretty good

usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 8, 2011 at 12:45 AM

We have used those to make volcanoes. A few weeks ago my 2 youngest sat on my kitchen floor & made one with an empty 20oz bottle sitting in a large pot to catch the mess. They did it until they ran out of vinegar & baking soda.

Quoting sew4fun:

I found THIS site

Chemical Reaction Experiments – Baking Soda and Vinegar

The combination of baking soda and vinegar is the perfect experiment for the preschool classroom. It is a safe chemical combination that is very attention grabbing.

Lesson objective:
The children will understand that some things in our world work in a predictable way. They will learn that mixing baking soda and vinegar will always have the same result.

In these three experiments your children will observe the chemical reaction of baking soda and vinegar and predict an outcome.

Play and Experiment – The Introduction
Blow it Up
Bake It

bugfree
by on Oct. 8, 2011 at 12:46 AM
1 mom liked this

We love the Young Scientist Club.  The best part is that you can open the box and do it.  They provide a script for the parents.  :-)  http://www.theyoungscientistsclub.com/

HavenWoodHome
by on Oct. 8, 2011 at 7:19 AM

We love Steve Spangler. There are video demonstrations as well as written lists, and an explanation of what is going on.  http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/video

Also, Science Bob on YouTube.   http://www.youtube.com/user/ScienceBob

Visit my homeschool blog....HavenWood HomeSchool

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Oct. 8, 2011 at 10:32 AM
I'm slacking in science :(. Or at least I feel like I am
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Oct. 8, 2011 at 12:23 PM

Science Fun and Experiments

Science Fun in the Preschool
It is widely known that young children learn science best by direct hands-on learning. Here are some very simple science experiments that children in your preschool can participate in.

Raisin Rising
Pour clear carbonated soda water into a clear glass. Drop four or five raisins into the glass.Show children how the air bubbles make the raisins rise and fall.

Mini Ocean
Fill a clear plastic liter bottle 3/4 full with water. Add blue food coloring then add cooking oil. Leave about 1 inch at the top of the bottle. Show preschool children how the oil and water do not mix. Tilting the bottle back and forth causes a wave effect.

Run Away Pepper
A great science demonstration. Sprinkle pepper over the top of a cup of water. Put a dab of soap on your finger and touch the center of the pepper. Show children how the soap repels the pepper to the side of the glass.

Dinosaur Bone Hunt
Boil and clean chicken bones. Be sure there are no sharp edges. Bury them in a sand box for the children to find.

Sun Painting
Place various shaped flat objects on a dark piece of construction paper. You can cut out shapes and designs or use common objects like a ruler or key. Place paper in direct sunlight for a few hours. Show children how the sunlight faded the paper, leaving dark silhouettes.

Popcorn Dance
Fill small a glass jar 3/4 full of water. Mix in 2 tablespoons of baking soda and mix well. Add a drop or two of food coloring and 10 to 15 popcorn kernels. Then add a few drops of vinegar. The kernels will start to move in one or two minutes.

Ice Magic
Fill a glass with water and add one ice cube. Let a child lay a piece of string across the ice and try to pick up the ice with the string. Sprinkle a little salt over the ice cube, count to 10 and have child try again. Show child how the salt melted the ice just enough to bond around the string.

Volcano!
Place an empty baby food jar on a tray. Surround the jar with playdough. Form the dough to look like a mountain. Put a drop of red food coloring and a tablespoon of baking soda in the jar. Then add some vinegar to it to make it erupt.

Invisible Ink
Using a cotton swap or paint brush, let children write messages or paint designs on white typing paper with lemon juice. Let dry. The adult is to hold the paper close to a light bulb until the writing becomes visible by turning brown.

from: http://www.childcarelounge.com/activity/science-experiments.php

usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 8, 2011 at 4:27 PM
usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 8, 2011 at 4:28 PM
usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 8, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Jetstream online school for weather

http://www.srh.weather.gov/srh/jetstream/index.htm

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)