Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2011 at 10:35 AM
  • 7 Replies

Hello! I have a little girl who will turn 4 this coming 10-11. I would like to start home schooling but i don't know where to start. We live in Snellville, GA. Please advice. Thank you.

by on Oct. 8, 2011 at 10:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
oredeb
by on Oct. 8, 2011 at 12:19 PM
1 mom liked this

welcome mrsfes!!

well at 4 you dont have to do nothing! just play, teach her some songs, jump, dance, teach her colors with whats arouond her, teach her counting with objects, etc!! have fun with her, do art projects! will help with when she is ready to do some school learning!

first off though you need to find out your homeschool law, check here to see what you have to do if anything  http://www.hslda.org/hs/state/

heres a site if shes ready for  phonics etc  http://www.starfall.com/

http://www.kidslearningstation.com/

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2011 at 12:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome!  Glad you're here!  Oredeb has given you some great ideas and resources.  Also look into state and local organizations near you where you can spend time with other homeschooling moms and share ideas or even co-op.  

usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 8, 2011 at 3:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with the other posters. Just play & have fun everything is a learning moment especially at that age!

JoyfulMommyof2
by on Oct. 8, 2011 at 10:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome, mrsfes!

I also agree with oredeb.  Keep it simple.  The best thing you can do for her at this age is develop a love for learning.  If you attempt to be too structured or try to do too much, you will just overwhelm her (and yourself) and make learning seem like a bad thing to her.  Along with a love for learning, help her to develop a good character, good manners, and a good attitude.  Teach her responsibility with small chores.  Encourage her, praise her,  and develop confidence in her.  Teach her not to fear new things and not to fear failure.  (Fear stifles our children's natural gifts and talents.)  Have a positive attitude, and she will, too.  These are the things we need to develop early and so many neglect them.  Also, observe how she learns best.  Learning her learning style will help you choose tools for learning (books/curriculum/etc.) in the future. 

That said, make your investments in "educational toys" rather than workbooks or curriculum.  Legos are wonderful for learning colors, counting, patterns, etc.  Also, let her learn to draw her shapes (as well as numbers, alphablets, name, etc.) using sidewalk chalk or washable paint or pudding (sugar-free, of course) spread over plastic wrap on your table.  Spend time outdoors jumping rope, swinging, running, playing ball.  Children spend too much time in front of the TV and video games these days and end up overweight and idle and unimaginative.  Teach her to enjoy nature and the outdoors and creative play.  I would also suggest teaching the importance of good hygiene and healthy eating (Health) simply by practicing these things with her and making it part of her routine. 

And, most importantly, read to her.  Read sitting outside on a blanket under the tree, snuggled up on the couch, sitting beside her bed at bedtime.  Develop in her a love for books, and you've given her the best educational tool you can provide.

Important!  Don't second guess your decision.  You have made the best possible choice you can make by deciding to homeschool.  It breaks my heart when I hear of someone who gives up because they feel defeated or feel like they are failing.  You will not fail.  "Do not be terrified.  Do not be discouraged."  Joshua 1:9  As parents, it is a natural ability to educate our children.  We also have the added opportunity of developing a special relationship and bond with them.  Just keep on keeping on!!  

JoyfulMommyof2

busy mom

usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 8, 2011 at 10:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I love this!

Quoting JoyfulMommyof2:

Welcome, mrsfes!

I also agree with oredeb.  Keep it simple.  The best thing you can do for her at this age is develop a love for learning.  If you attempt to be too structured or try to do too much, you will just overwhelm her (and yourself) and make learning seem like a bad thing to her.  Along with a love for learning, help her to develop a good character, good manners, and a good attitude.  Teach her responsibility with small chores.  Encourage her, praise her,  and develop confidence in her.  Teach her not to fear new things and not to fear failure.  (Fear stifles our children's natural gifts and talents.)  Have a positive attitude, and she will, too.  These are the things we need to develop early and so many neglect them.  Also, observe how she learns best.  Learning her learning style will help you choose tools for learning (books/curriculum/etc.) in the future. 

That said, make your investments in "educational toys" rather than workbooks or curriculum.  Legos are wonderful for learning colors, counting, patterns, etc.  Also, let her learn to draw her shapes (as well as numbers, alphablets, name, etc.) using sidewalk chalk or washable paint or pudding (sugar-free, of course) spread over plastic wrap on your table.  Spend time outdoors jumping rope, swinging, running, playing ball.  Children spend too much time in front of the TV and video games these days and end up overweight and idle and unimaginative.  Teach her to enjoy nature and the outdoors and creative play.  I would also suggest teaching the importance of good hygiene and healthy eating (Health) simply by practicing these things with her and making it part of her routine. 

And, most importantly, read to her.  Read sitting outside on a blanket under the tree, snuggled up on the couch, sitting beside her bed at bedtime.  Develop in her a love for books, and you've given her the best educational tool you can provide.

Important!  Don't second guess your decision.  You have made the best possible choice you can make by deciding to homeschool.  It breaks my heart when I hear of someone who gives up because they feel defeated or feel like they are failing.  You will not fail.  "Do not be terrified.  Do not be discouraged."  Joshua 1:9  As parents, it is a natural ability to educate our children.  We also have the added opportunity of developing a special relationship and bond with them.  Just keep on keeping on!!  

mrsfes
by on Oct. 8, 2011 at 10:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you so much guys. I am happy to say that i am doing the right thing. I appreciate it. ladybug

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Welcome! Looks like I'm a little late to the party!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN