Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

This is easier than I thought it would be...

Posted by   + Show Post
Which makes me think I'm doing it wrong! Lol we are having such a good time and are just really embracing it! We are "done" for the day in about 2-3 hours so I feel guilty! Like it should last longer! Lol (she is 6, first grade)

How is everything going for you?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 10, 2011 at 10:00 PM
Replies (11-19):
Michelle914
by on Oct. 12, 2011 at 5:25 PM

Congratulations, Boobah!

I have a first-grader also and I am having trouble finding a math curriculum that works well for us.  What are you using for math?  I want things to be fun and interesting.  So far, she seems to enjoy most subjects but we still need to find something great for math!

Thanks!

bmw29
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2011 at 5:27 PM
Life of fred now has elementary math. We are fred addicts over here. :)

Quoting Michelle914:

Congratulations, Boobah!

I have a first-grader also and I am having trouble finding a math curriculum that works well for us.  What are you using for math?  I want things to be fun and interesting.  So far, she seems to enjoy most subjects but we still need to find something great for math!

Thanks!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AbundanceMagnet
by on Oct. 12, 2011 at 6:55 PM
That is awesome!! Thats perfect time wise, glad to hear all is great!!!
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Oct. 12, 2011 at 9:24 PM
You know, I was skeptical of Saxon math, but Julia is doing REALLY well with it. She loves all the manipulatives and fun projects we do. (like cutting an apple in half to learn about half and whole) and counting the seeds and charting them. Her favorite so far was the balance/weight activities).

It's laid out really well so there isn't a lot of prep work for the mom. It tells you what you need before every class. There is a page and a half every day that explains how to do calendar, weather, counting to 100 that we don't pay attention to and just do it our way.

Quoting Michelle914:

Congratulations, Boobah!

Thanks!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Knightquester
by on Oct. 12, 2011 at 9:47 PM

Homeschooling should be fun, so it sounds like you're doing good.  Really if she gets her work done in 2-3 hours then there should be no reason to feel guilty, keep embracing it :-)

IEduk81duck
by on Oct. 13, 2011 at 4:11 AM

This was your PE time if you made it for that walk. LOL!!

Quoting Boobah:

Thanks girls :)  We are required 900 hours a year, but that includes everything.  So cooking is math and science.  Going outside is gym and sometimes math, science, etc.  Playing house with sissy is home ec. :)  haha  

Today we are having a hard time focusing so we are going to go on a walk.  I need some fresh air!

misselphaba
by on Oct. 13, 2011 at 9:31 AM

Really?!  I will be getting that for my son.  I think he'll love it.  Do you know if they have a placement test?  Or do you have to just guess?  Do you know how long each book is supposed to last? 

Which Fred books have you done? 

Quoting bmw29:

Quoting Michelle914:

Congratulations, Boobah!

Thanks!

bmw29
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2011 at 2:43 PM

The books are super cheap. I would just get all for of the elementary ones and start from the beginning. Those are shorter books. About a semester per book if you do one chapter a day. We have done the upper two in the elementary series and the fractions book. I will be using this all the way til the end. It teaches me tons too. The chapters are short, highly entertaining and you learn a lot more then just math.

http://www.polkadotpublishing.com/ check them out for sure. :)

Quoting misselphaba:

Really?!  I will be getting that for my son.  I think he'll love it.  Do you know if they have a placement test?  Or do you have to just guess?  Do you know how long each book is supposed to last? 

Which Fred books have you done? 

Quoting bmw29:

Quoting Michelle914:

Congratulations, Boobah!

Thanks!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 13, 2011 at 3:25 PM

Good luck with your curriculum, ladies. 8)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN