Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling with a newborn...

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2011 at 10:01 PM
  • 18 Replies
Give me some tips. Baby will only be about 2-3 months before we begin next fall and I'm a little worried!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 10, 2011 at 10:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjp2707
by Member on Oct. 10, 2011 at 10:19 PM
Are you pregnant?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 10, 2011 at 10:29 PM

I haven't done it, when I started homeschooling my youngest was 9mo & we deschooled for the first 6mo, so I didn't try to really do anything school like until I was dealing with a 15mo old.

I have a few friends that homeschool & have had babies in the past 2 years & both of them struggled to get back on track so I do know it can be hard. I don't know how much preplaning they did, I think it was hard for them because one had 3 kids before the baby & the other one had 2, if you only have one right now adding baby might not be so bad especially if your child is over 5.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Oct. 10, 2011 at 10:33 PM
Shhhhh! Yes :) don't post on fbook though. Only my parents know

Quoting mjp2707:

Are you pregnant?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Oct. 10, 2011 at 10:34 PM
I have two kids right now. 6 and 2.5 they will be 7 and 3 when baby is here. And 2 yo is.... Challenging. :)

Quoting usmom3:

I haven't done it, when I started homeschooling my youngest was 9mo & we deschooled for the first 6mo, so I didn't try to really do anything school like until I was dealing with a 15mo old.

I have a few friends that homeschool & have had babies in the past 2 years & both of them struggled to get back on track so I do know it can be hard. I don't know how much preplaning they did, I think it was hard for them because one had 3 kids before the baby & the other one had 2, if you only have one right now adding baby might not be so bad especially if your child is over 5.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjp2707
by Member on Oct. 10, 2011 at 10:36 PM
She has 2 girls 6 ( I believe) and 2 ! Nikki this is one of my biggest fears about homeschooling . How can I give 3 young kids the education they deserve. Will I be stretched to thin. You seem to be so orginized so I'm sure you can do it. Did you wear the other girls. It would seem like baby wearing would be a life saver

Quoting usmom3:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjp2707
by Member on Oct. 10, 2011 at 10:37 PM
Well Congrats you are such a good mom. What a lucky baby!

Quoting Boobah:

Shhhhh! Yes :) don't post on fbook though. Only my parents know

Quoting mjp2707:

Are you pregnant?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 10, 2011 at 10:38 PM

That was the ages of my one friends 2 kids when she had her baby 1 1/2 years ago.

Quoting Boobah:

I have two kids right now. 6 and 2.5 they will be 7 and 3 when baby is here. And 2 yo is.... Challenging. :)

Quoting usmom3:

oredeb
by debbie on Oct. 10, 2011 at 11:55 PM

oh those are good ages, your 7 yr old can help with the 3 year old while your getting your bearings! she doesnt have to be doing workbooks or worksheets etc to be learning! just keeping 3 yr old busy is very educational!

i always had a baby when i homeschooled those first 4 years when my oldest was ready for phonics, i used one of those tie scarves and kept the baby in front of me, that helped a lot! also used a playpen, big help! i dont know if they make those anymore!hahahaha

and i know boobah you will be ok! your a planner!

your oldest one can do workbook stuff review etc for a month or so, and your 3 yr old can play around etc!

i did lots of reading to them, it calmed them all down when needed

you can really wait and do nothing (your children will still be learning) till baby is older even! letting them help with the baby! home ec!hahahah the older one can read to younger and even show her how to do things, teach her numbers, colors, etc!

blackraven935
by on Oct. 11, 2011 at 12:46 AM

Oiy. My oldest is 3 and I homeschool her. My second is being potty trained and he is 19 months old. And my third I just had about 6 weeks ago. Also my husband works long hours (currently about 14 hours a day) and is sometimes deployed. I dont just sit and homeschool at the same time everyday. But right now my daughter is young. But we have no set schedule. Just henever, and hen I need to take care of the baby, I give my daughter things she can do herself. Usually about the time I put my 19 month old down for a nap. 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2011 at 9:39 AM

I have a newborn right now. I admit, it is hard! A lifesaver has been my laptop because I can sit in the couch while breastfeeding with it to lesson plan and print worksheets. Also, I've been utilizing Youtube because I can find so many great videos that can teach or expand the lesson.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)