Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Who's homeschooling Eclectic???

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2011 at 10:38 AM
  • 28 Replies

are you gona stick with being eclectic?

or change?

did you switch to being an eclectic homeschooler from another method?

Eclectic Homeschool Method
Eclectic Homeschooling is a term that has become popular as homeschoolers gain confidence and become savvy consumers of different methods. It simply means picking and choosing what works best for you and not being afraid to make decisions or change your mind. An eclectic homeschooler may use one publisher for math and another for science. Or, she may even use a different math for each student. Eclectic homeschoolers are confident that they know what is best for their children and are highly independent in decision making.
by on Oct. 11, 2011 at 10:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2011 at 11:05 AM

This is us. I teach however gets the job done. lol

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2011 at 3:14 PM

I use a wide variety.  ABeka, Bob Jones, Real books, make some of my own, Rod and Staff.  My first few years I used all ABeka until I got my feet good and wet.

carolkey74
by on Oct. 11, 2011 at 3:58 PM
This is definitely us. My kids have very different learning styles, so I use different things with both kids. If something isn't working, I'm not afraid to change. For instance, my 9th grader was using Bob Jones literature, and hated it! So we decided to just read books, instead. This year, she's going to focus on 19th century lit. After she reads each book, she has to write a summary. Then we will move on to essays. She's much happier now. My 5th grader likes to read in smaller blocks, so short stories work better for him.
Danielle163
by on Oct. 11, 2011 at 4:28 PM

Quoting mem82:

This is us. I teach however gets the job done. lol

Me too---LOL

.Cat.
by on Oct. 11, 2011 at 6:31 PM

He... hehe... hehehehhe... BWAHAHAA. ROD and STAFF? What kind of people come up with this!?

Quoting bren_darlene:

I use a wide variety.  ABeka, Bob Jones, Real books, make some of my own, Rod and Staff.  My first few years I used all ABeka until I got my feet good and wet.

--------
In support of my daughter and all 99% protestors! Take America Back! (Mae, Occupy Seattle, 10.10 - current!)

"Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; you are raising a human being."- Kittie Franz

"A society is best judged by how it treats its children."

.Cat.
by on Oct. 11, 2011 at 6:41 PM

We're pretty eclectic, and on the relaxed side of eclectic too. Very Montessori-ish in the younger years, then they all kind of diverge onto their own paths for the middle years, and the older ones are more unschooly. We've done everything from school-at-home (that lasted about 6 months when my oldest 2 were 6 and 7) to total unschooling. I suppose we're still unschool-ish, more as a parenting philosophy than an educational one as contradictory as it sounds, but we do use curriculum and all of our children do 'do school' at one point or another. Some fade in and out of it, others really like the structure and the more guided approach, we let them do whatever they're comfortable with and what they seem to do best with.

My teenagers now are pretty much unschooled, as were my now university kids (19 and 18). They have a wide array of curriculum available to them, but aside from maths and testing prep, they basically make their own up. My 16DD, 15DD and 15DS, who goes away to school during the year, spent the whole summer doing comparative analysis of literature and films inspired by or based on literature. They came up with their own curriculum and had a blast doing it. They even asked me to make up assignments for it and had fun with those too.

We try to take the best of every approach and mash it all up!

--------
In support of my daughter and all 99% protestors! Take America Back! (Mae, Occupy Seattle, 10.10 - current!)

"Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; you are raising a human being."- Kittie Franz

"A society is best judged by how it treats its children."

Precious333
by Julia on Oct. 11, 2011 at 6:42 PM

I'm eclectic! I do classical with a combination of unschooling and who knows what else lol.

<3 Julia: wife of Drew, mom of Damien and Gavin, baby Harley 2/09-3/09, Mason 9-19-2010  Isaiah 66:10-13 Breastfeeding Moms: group Mod

oredeb
by on Oct. 11, 2011 at 6:47 PM

hahah you all sound like me! i use and do everything!

when i first started there was only abeka and bob jones and they were way to much money and no one ever heard of used curr back then!

so i made little booklets for the kids (they are now called unit studies) no such thing as internet back then either, so i had to copy thing from the library or make up stuff!  oh boy am i very thankful of all the stuff that is out there now!so im gona use it all!!!!hahahah

misselphaba
by on Oct. 11, 2011 at 7:58 PM

We are eclectic unschoolers.  Heck, we are eclectic at life.  LOL  Whatever needs to be done to get the "job" done, we do. 

HavenWoodHome
by on Oct. 11, 2011 at 8:45 PM

We are eclectic, relaxed, interest-based, quasi-unschoolers.

Visit my homeschool blog....HavenWood HomeSchool

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)